Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Leave it to the full blown contradictory nature of the English language; not only can "good" be "bad," but also "bad" can actually be "good" (as Mr. Michal Jackson himself said, "I'm Bad!").

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• L' Eomot Inversé (7/27/2012)

David Burrows (7/27/2012)

With these language problems maybe we should ask Steve to create a new IFCode <sarcasm></sarcasm> to highlight sarcasm including a caveat

'If you take offence with this sarcasm it is your fault and complaining will only result in more sarcasm'.

Also add new emoticons of a tap with different size drips to add an endearing quality to the sarcasm.

Also we need [joke]...[/joke] for clowning.

And would the tap icon mean "the readers of this are drips" or "the author is a drip" or neither of these?

"a tap with different size drips" is ambiguous - is that one icon with a tap and several drips of different sizes, or several items with a tap and a drip each, the different icons using different drip sizes?

Or we could just have pianos and violins for the whole "world's smallest" sympathy music.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Also we need [joke]...[/joke] for clowning.

[sarcasm]Not fair! You would use it every time :w00t:[/sarcasm]

... "the readers of this are drips" ...

[sarcasm]If the cap fits... ;-)[/sarcasm]

the author is a drip

Hey! I resemble that remark :crying:

"a tap with different size drips" is ambiguous

[sarcasm]No, only your sense of reality is ambiguous :-P[/sarcasm]

Wow this sarcasm is fun, lol :hehe:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• SQLRNNR (7/27/2012)

I have seen the same sort of requirement. We opted for the TVP method that was mentioned at the tail of the article since it was an application that was bringing the data in delimited form into the database. Several times faster that way.

That was my first reaction too. Unfortunately, the database was accessed by many different client applications, not all of which supported TVPs (Java I think was one of them).

• SQL Kiwi (7/27/2012)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2012)

I have seen the same sort of requirement. We opted for the TVP method that was mentioned at the tail of the article since it was an application that was bringing the data in delimited form into the database. Several times faster that way.

That was my first reaction too. Unfortunately, the database was accessed by many different client applications, not all of which supported TVPs (Java I think was one of them).

Sadly I have experienced the same thing with Java (curse java) 😀

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Not sure about the questions, and given Celko I don't think the posted answers can get much worse, but this question got a first answer asking for sample data, so I wonder if we have perhaps been overemphasizing the requirements for code and data with questions. While the generally quoted requirements are definitely appropriate for many questions, it is surely insanity to ask for sample data for trivia like this?

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (7/28/2012)

Not sure about the questions, and given Celko I don't think the posted answers can get much worse, but this question got a first answer asking for sample data, so I wonder if we have perhaps been overemphasizing the requirements for code and data with questions. While the generally quoted requirements are definitely appropriate for many questions, it is surely insanity to ask for sample data for trivia like this?

Check the person's posting history, several rather vague 'answers'

Though, that said, I got a nice little email earlier this week that kindly requested that I stop making useless short posts.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • L' Eomot Inversé (7/28/2012)

Not sure about the questions, and given Celko I don't think the posted answers can get much worse, but this question got a first answer asking for sample data, so I wonder if we have perhaps been overemphasizing the requirements for code and data with questions. While the generally quoted requirements are definitely appropriate for many questions, it is surely insanity to ask for sample data for trivia like this?

I definitely agree on that one. There wasn't any reason to request data on that one.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• GilaMonster (7/28/2012)

L' Eomot Inversé (7/28/2012)

Check the person's posting history, several rather vague 'answers'

Though, that said, I got a nice little email earlier this week that kindly requested that I stop making useless short posts.

Hey, I wasn't aware that you were making useless short posts! :w00t:

Where have you been hiding them? :hehe::hehe::hehe:

I trust you responded appropriately.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (7/29/2012)

I trust you responded appropriately.

Absolutely. Shift-delete

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Lynn Pettis (7/27/2012)

Okay, I may be missing something, but how do you accidently mirror a database?

Are you sure it was accidentally "mirrored"?

Playing about with the wizard for mirroring won't mirror database as the partner database needs to be previously created. The wizard for Log Shipping however will kindly create the partner for you.

Fal.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/27/2012)

Reading all these posts today, I feel the need to say something stupid.

"something stupid."

Okay, all better now. @=)

once worked with a chap who's nickname at school was wishy-washy. As none of the team went to school with him we didn't know.

Cue conference call with the Scottish and North Ireland offices, one of them said, to the person in question, "well that's all a bit wishy-washy"...

You can imagine the fallout that happened next! 😀

Rodders...

Oops. Got bitten by the quoting wrong post bug...

But, er, it was to the one that mentioned "wishy washy" oddly enough!

• Someone's just posted a reply to a request from Gail and my best guess is that she's fallen of her chair laughing. You're a bad lady, Gail. 😎

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (7/30/2012)

Someone's just posted a reply to a request from Gail and my best guess is that she's fallen of her chair laughing. You're a bad lady, Gail. 😎

Could you perhaps be specific about why I'm bad? No RotFL responses so far that I;ve seen.

Gail Shaw

• Morning threadizens. I just deleted a couple of hundred emails from you lot. Did I miss anything really important in the last seven days?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 15 posts - 37,171 through 37,185 (of 66,638 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply