Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (7/26/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (7/26/2012)

WayneS (7/26/2012)

You'll might find this interesting: http://www.sqlperformance.com/2012/07/t-sql-queries/split-strings

Very interesting indeed. Poor Jeff. Poor Tally Tables.

Did you take a close look at how Jeff's split routine was modified? His routine is optimized for varchar(8000) or nvarchar(4000) depending on which routine you use.

I take that testing with a grain of salt or two.

i also like how it was one string of 500k. put out a million rows of random data and then test and ill actually believe your testing.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

WayneS (7/26/2012)

You'll might find this interesting: http://www.sqlperformance.com/2012/07/t-sql-queries/split-strings

Did you take a close look at how Jeff's split routine was modified? His routine is optimized for varchar(8000) or nvarchar(4000) depending on which routine you use.

+1

Aaron is really good at TSQL too though.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/26/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/26/2012)

WayneS (7/26/2012)

+1

That may be, but after reading that post and the Tally Oh article, I have a problem with the comparision done and the changes made to Jeff's routine. It takes a routine designed to work with strings upto 8000 bytes and takes it into an area we know it may not be a performant. Looks like apples to oranges to me.

SQLRNNR (7/26/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/26/2012)

WayneS (7/26/2012)

+1

That may be, but after reading that post and the Tally Oh article, I have a problem with the comparision done and the changes made to Jeff's routine. It takes a routine designed to work with strings upto 8000 bytes and takes it into an area we know it may not be a performant. Looks like apples to oranges to me.

That is true. It looks the same way to me.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/26/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/26/2012)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/26/2012)

WayneS (7/26/2012)

+1

Well, no matter what you think, it's pretty damn cool that this is the key in the chart:

CLR, XML, on par with Mr. Moden.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/26/2012)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/26/2012)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/26/2012)

WayneS (7/26/2012)

+1

Well, no matter what you think, it's pretty damn cool that this is the key in the chart:

CLR, XML, on par with Mr. Moden.

Yeah, CLR and XML have come a long way!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (7/26/2012)

Sean Lange (7/26/2012)

How many people don't share a last name with their PATERNAL grandfather? Only unmarried women, or those that chose not to take their husband's last name. And people wonder why we get some *$&#ing frustrated with website security. :w00t:

So you think women will only chose to take their husbands last name on marriage if they marry someone whose last name is the same as their (the wife's) paternal grandfather? I know a women who took her husband's name although it was different from her paternal grandfathers. In fact I know an awful lot of them πŸ˜€

And those Scottish ladies who follow standard highland convention and chane Mac to Nic. πŸ™‚

How many Czech women have paternal grandfathers whose name ends in -ova (if hubby were Fredovic they would take his name in the form Fredova), or how many how many Russian granddads have last names ending in "va" insteacd of "v"? :laugh:

And of course there's anyone who takes the name of an adoptive parent πŸ˜›

Your comment about only unmarried women etc is almost as funny as the stupid security system. :blink:

You forgot to include Icelandic names, where a woman's last name will surely NEVER match her paternal grandfather's name, not even her father's last name!!

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• EL Jerry (7/26/2012)

L' Eomot InversΓ© (7/26/2012)

Sean Lange (7/26/2012)

How many people don't share a last name with their PATERNAL grandfather? Only unmarried women, or those that chose not to take their husband's last name. And people wonder why we get some *$&#ing frustrated with website security. :w00t:

So you think women will only chose to take their husbands last name on marriage if they marry someone whose last name is the same as their (the wife's) paternal grandfather? I know a women who took her husband's name although it was different from her paternal grandfathers. In fact I know an awful lot of them πŸ˜€

And those Scottish ladies who follow standard highland convention and chane Mac to Nic. πŸ™‚

How many Czech women have paternal grandfathers whose name ends in -ova (if hubby were Fredovic they would take his name in the form Fredova), or how many how many Russian granddads have last names ending in "va" insteacd of "v"? :laugh:

And of course there's anyone who takes the name of an adoptive parent πŸ˜›

Your comment about only unmarried women etc is almost as funny as the stupid security system. :blink:

You forgot to include Icelandic names (), where a woman's last name will surely NEVER match her paternal grandfather's name, not even her father's last name!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_name

• Thanks, Lynn, i keep forgetting to preview before posting.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• EL Jerry (7/26/2012)

Thanks, Lynn, i keep forgetting to preview before posting.

Hey, you are at least trying to make it easy for others. πŸ˜‰

• Brandie Tarvin (7/26/2012)

dwain.c (7/25/2012)

Jeff Moden (7/25/2012)

Please join me in reporting this and all other posts of this nature by this person. This has got to stop. If anyone of us made such regular ad hominem and vicious attacks, we'd be banned from this site for life.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1335109.aspx

I'd talk more about it but I'm busy removing his name and all references to any of his books from all of my presentation materials. I can also guarantee you that I'll never attend one of his presentations nor ever read one of his articles ever again.

Aw shucks! I missed it!

Deleted before I could fill my day with mirth.

Does this make you feel better?

SET @Snark = ON

First of all, Mr. Server, you are not allowed to report to Microsoft whenever you want. That's not proper security standards, wandering off and sharing information whenever you feel like it. Most companies have NDAs for a reason. You should not be running at all hours of the night, and creating tokens is just stupid. Don't you know that tokens are a violation of the XYZ Standards? And taking advice from that connection in Dubai is just ludicrous. Haven't you ever read a book on proper server behavior?

Batches are not used anymore. They have been deprecated since the advent of the ACID standard. You should be using transactions, not batches. Command line prompts are also no longer supported. You should be burying your work inside a dll and kernel, not allowing user interaction. User interaction is bad. It opens up your systems to attacks and viruses.

I don't even know why I'm trying to help you if you can't even get a simple error message right.

SET @Snark = OFF

Better?

BWAAHAHAHAHA! Close enough to make my day! πŸ˜›

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• ChrisM@Work (7/26/2012)

WayneS (7/26/2012)

Very interesting. Thanks, Wayne.

I know I enjoyed it. Gave me a chance to try out my new 4 band porkchop launcher. Please see my response to that poorly formed article.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Brandie Tarvin (7/26/2012)

WayneS (7/26/2012)

Oh yea of little faith. Please see my response to that poorly written article.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (7/26/2012)

ChrisM@Work (7/26/2012)

WayneS (7/26/2012)

I know I enjoyed it. Gave me a chance to try out my new 4 band porkchop launcher. Please see my response to that poorly formed article.

Jeff - I read the article this morning before your comments were posted and just knew I should withhold my comments until you posted yours. Nice comeback.

Everyone knows that if you do a join to a MAX datatype, your code will suddenly take twice as long even if the MAX datatype contains fewer than 4000 characters for NVARCHAR and 8000 characters for VARCHAR.

They do now! πŸ˜›

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Jeff Moden (7/26/2012)

ChrisM@Work (7/26/2012)

WayneS (7/26/2012)

Drat just as i was getting my single band porkchop launcher to a point i thought i could compete you come in and have to up the anty.

on a more serious note, you are correct in your response that the code is optomized for VARCHAR(8000) and as soon as i read his blog post and i saw the performance of your string splitter drop off at around 8000 characters i was like "Yep Jeff said it would." i also saw that he was using the old version since i reread the article a couple times a month (any time i stumble onto it in my google searches) as it is a very good description of your (Jeff's) thought process and each time i read it i learn something new.

so now that jeff has posted his response shall the SSC Dog Pile commence??

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 37,066 through 37,080 (of 66,636 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply