Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLRNNR (11/11/2011)

Trey Staker (11/11/2011)

I signed up for a Twitter account today. I'm not sure what to do with it. Is that a sign that I'm a geezer?

If you are, does that make the rest of us geezers?

Do you have a list of people to follow?

I realized after I signed up that today was 11-11-11. So I searched #sqlhelp and found the first 11 people I recognized and am following them. To take it to another goofier level I made 11 tweets.

I think what makes me a geezer are that my two teenage children do stuff like twitter and it just comes natural to them. To me it feels awkward. In my career I've set up some very complex systems, billing systems, large scale projects with point of sale devices in thousands of convient stores. I've managed hundreds of sql servers the last few years...etc... But it's taken me years to set myself up with twitter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Duplicate post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey Staker (11/11/2011)

SQLRNNR (11/11/2011)

Trey Staker (11/11/2011)

I signed up for a Twitter account today. I'm not sure what to do with it. Is that a sign that I'm a geezer?

If you are, does that make the rest of us geezers?

Do you have a list of people to follow?

I realized after I signed up that today was 11-11-11. So I searched #sqlhelp and found the first 11 people I recognized and am following them. To take it to another goofier level I made 11 tweets.

I think what makes me a geezer are that my two teenage children do stuff like twitter and it just comes natural to them. To me it feels awkward. In my career I've set up some very complex systems, billing systems, large scale projects with point of sale devices in thousands of convient stores. I've managed hundreds of sql servers the last few years...etc... But it's taken me years to set myself up with twitter.

Somehow I missed 11-11-11 11:11:11 yesterday. I'm still angry with myself 🙂

Followed you on Twitter, now you're not so alone 😉

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Excellent time at SQLInspire in NYC this weekend. Got to shake Jason's hand (again) and chat for a few minutes. He has a great boss, who I also met.

• It was good chatting Steve. Also good to see some of the other people like Tom, Robert, Andy, Mike and Mike, Brian and Matt.

It was also fun to run into new people. They knew who I was - very humbling actually. A good reminder that there are people out there watching, listening even though you may not know they are - or even when you don't know them.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• This is not quite back to the original topic, but a variation: "Are OP's mgetting worse at understanding the ansers they get to their original questions?" See the thread beginning here for something that would make me (if i were Gail) lose my rag. I've leapt in, tried not to be rude and think I succeded, but if I had supplied the original reply I would have found it hard.

Tom

• That was funny. We managed to say just about the same thing, phrased differently, at the same time.

I'm getting so used to being misunderstood and outright ignored that it just disappoints now.

p.s. I suspect that thread is a case of 'Please confirm that I'm right' rather than 'Please advise me on the best approach'

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/13/2011)

That was funny. p.s. I suspect that thread is a case of 'Please confirm that I'm right' rather than 'Please advise me on the best approach'

You're right and keep it going that way Gail :hehe:.

• I find the practice of prefixing with tbl_ just a waste of 4 chars in a table name. It would be funny if a proc were prefixed with tbl_ though.:hehe:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Congrats Jason for winning T-SQL challenge 63!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• SQLRNNR (11/13/2011)

I find the practice of prefixing with tbl_ just a waste of 4 chars in a table name.

Likewise and a waste of time when typing in object explorer to find an object.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (11/14/2011)

SQLRNNR (11/13/2011)

I find the practice of prefixing with tbl_ just a waste of 4 chars in a table name.

Waste of time or not, when you work in an environment that demands certain standards, you can either adhere to those standards or get traded in for a DBA that will do as (s)he's told. In an environment where there are multiple battles to be fought every day, using object prefixes is the least of my concerns.

Except in the case of "sp_" because of the side effects.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/14/2011)

GilaMonster (11/14/2011)

SQLRNNR (11/13/2011)

Waste of time or not, when you work in an environment that demands certain standards, you can either adhere to those standards or get traded in for a DBA that will do as (s)he's told. In an environment where there are multiple battles to be fought every day, using object prefixes is the least of my concerns.

Except in the case of "sp_" because of the side effects.

It's not just a waste of time, a standard that insists views are distinguished from tables by the syntax of their names is just a disaster waiting to happen - any time serious refactoring has to be done the costs will be much greater than they would have been without this idiocy. And if you think you can design a database in such a way that serious refactoring will never be required, despite the additional requirements that keep on creeping out of the woodwork you are just plain wrong. So it's a battle worth fighting.

But we are being technical in the thread. Lightning will strike us if we carry on.

Tom

• Depends on the database, the environment, and the DBA / Dev, Tom.

If you don't ever do anything with partitioning, and don't have a database big enough for that sort of thing, then why fight a battle with the powers-that-be?

Large environments are different enough from small environments that the people running them have different priorities. It's a fact of life. Especially when DBAs are forced to use vendor databases over which they have little schema control. Don't beat up the people who have to deal with the hand dealt to them just because they got those particular cards. It's not their fault.

I do understand your point, and Gail's. I agree with it, in fact. But if I'm going to spend my energy and political capital waging a war over database issues, it's going to be over something that does effect my environment. Not issues that will be tossed aside by the powers-that-be because "we will never use that functionality."

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/14/2011)

Don't beat up the people who have to deal with the hand dealt to them just because they got those particular cards. It's not their fault.

No one's beating anyone up. What we're saying is don't create a silly naming convention that can cause all sorts of interesting issues in the future. The OP in that thread was trying to decide on a prefix for objects.

p.s. I have two clients at the moment who were strongly of the opinion 'we'll never use partitioning'. I'm busy planning partitioning for both (neither using the table partitioning features)

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 31,666 through 31,680 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply