Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/16/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (12/16/2010)

I wonder if he's still doing that now that there's Intellisense. I like aliases, even one letter ones, but they have to be representative of the table they're aliasing.

If he was using A B C, was he from an Oracle background?

I like 1-2 letter alias, but I tend to use the table names, like PD for ProductDetail, C for Customer, CA for CustomerAddress, etc.

I think Intellisense can make this just as bad. If you're used to using "p", downarrow to get to ProductDetail and someone adds a new table, you might end up with some weird joins. Hopefully that gets caught, but I find that Intellisense messes me up as often as it helps.

Did you notice SSMS query panel now hat an "Design query in editor" option.

Back to the msaccess guy :sick: and very long queries

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Paul White NZ (12/16/2010)

WayneS (12/16/2010)

Here's just two of the reasons why I've turned it off:

I just typed this successfully in 2008 SSMS with Intellisense on (which it always is):

SELECT rn = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY N.n ORDER BY N.n)

FROM Performance.dbo.Nums N;

I always write "SELECT *" (horrors!) before going on to type the FROM clause, using a table alias. I then go back and type the column list. Works for me, is the whole of my point.

I do the same thing even though i'm using SQL Prompt. Set up the tables & joins & aliases (which prompt can do for you, btw), then go back to the select list & have targeted columns available. Works great.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• ALZDBA (12/17/2010)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/16/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (12/16/2010)

I wonder if he's still doing that now that there's Intellisense. I like aliases, even one letter ones, but they have to be representative of the table they're aliasing.

If he was using A B C, was he from an Oracle background?

I like 1-2 letter alias, but I tend to use the table names, like PD for ProductDetail, C for Customer, CA for CustomerAddress, etc.

I think Intellisense can make this just as bad. If you're used to using "p", downarrow to get to ProductDetail and someone adds a new table, you might end up with some weird joins. Hopefully that gets caught, but I find that Intellisense messes me up as often as it helps.

Did you notice SSMS query panel now hat an "Design query in editor" option.

Back to the msaccess guy :sick: and very long queries

Vastly useless and harmful, but I do love it for transforming ANSI joins into INNER JOINS.

Design query in editor, touch nothing and click OK. Voilà.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• WayneS (12/16/2010)

What are your preferences for VM machines - VMWare or VirtualPC?

I've been using VMWare for years (and am happy with it), but to install a 64-bit Windows 7 and Denali, I'll need to upgrade (again) at $100.

So, what say you?

I've used VirtualPC a bunch. Works fine for me.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• CirquedeSQLeil (12/16/2010)

Paul White NZ (12/16/2010)

WayneS (12/16/2010)

I just typed this successfully in 2008 SSMS with Intellisense on (which it always is):

I always write "SELECT *" (horrors!) before going on to type the FROM clause, using a table alias. I then go back and type the column list. Works for me, is the whole of my point.

In that query, the place where intellisense always fouls up for me is PARTITION. For whatever reason, it always wants to select something else there automatically.

Columns named "ID" really get annoying in the Red Gate product. Not sure about SSMS 2008's native one.

There are a few others. None of their products seem to work well with XQuery. Refactor's layout features just barf on those. And ".value", which is case-sensitive, ends up as ".VALUE" with SQL Prompt, which just doesn't work.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• WayneS (12/16/2010)

I've been using VMWare for years (and am happy with it), but to install a 64-bit Windows 7 and Denali, I'll need to upgrade (again) at $100.

So, what say you?

I use Hyper V - and am happy with it. It works real well for my dev environment.

The use VMWare for Production, and it seems to work good.

VPC worked OK several years ago, but the 32 bit limitation was very limiting.

So it might depend on if you are able to run W2008 Server as an OS on your machine.

I kind of dual purposed, and also virtualized a std image for testing upgrades to desktop software I support.

Greg E

• Chris Morris-439714 (12/17/2010)

Works for me too, but usually "SELECT TOP 10 * FROM", just a handy habit to get into.

Oh yeah: Even that causes a problem. I have a small database for my wife's business that starts with "Top". I'm always ending up with "SELECT TopToBottom" in there instead.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• CirquedeSQLeil (12/16/2010)

Paul White NZ (12/16/2010)

WayneS (12/16/2010)

In that query, the place where intellisense always fouls up for me is PARTITION. For whatever reason, it always wants to select something else there automatically.

partition_fragment_id? That's what I get.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Tom.Thomson (12/16/2010)

And on coalesce, you were just making yourself look silly. Don't let the fact that Celko often (usually?) writes in online fora as an obnoxious *** blind you to the fact that he gets most things right.

Well, apparently you and he want different things from your results than I do.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (12/17/2010)

Tom.Thomson (12/16/2010)

And on coalesce, you were just making yourself look silly. Don't let the fact that Celko often (usually?) writes in online fora as an obnoxious *** blind you to the fact that he gets most things right.

Well, apparently you and he want different things from your results than I do.

Well, why do you say you can't do isNull using coalesce, that Coalesce effectively doesn't work? You appeared to be saying that something like Coalesce(NULL,0) would not deliver the same result as IsNull(NULL,0). Of course I'm pretty sure that that's not you meant, that's just how it came over.

Coalesce(X,Y) does everything useful that IsNull(X,Y) does (except in the case where both X and Y are untyped NULLs, if you regard what IsNull does there as useful). Since Coalesce is in the standard and isNull isn't it seems reasonable to suggest that people stick to Coalesce rather than isNull. To do it in Celko's style is of course not reasonable, but that's a matter of his style not of his technical content. Boring grey-haired old things like me will probably continue to use IsNull sometimes, out of force of habit and out of laziness (2 fewer characters to type) because it isn't important enough to matter, but basically Celko is right (despite his appalling style) and newbies should be taught to use Coalesce. The problem with Celko's style is of course that his obnoxiousness probably encourages his audience to do thing things he tells them not to do.

Tom

• WayneS (12/16/2010)

Thanks for the kind words Ron. I think the folks over there screaming the most were the ones that didn't like missing their QotD points... and then they do multiple posts just to get "their" points back.

It's annoying, and discouraging, but ignore the complaints. People are quick to want their "points" back. I've cleaned it up, so they'll be fine. most have probably forgotten about it.

• WayneS (12/16/2010)

So, what say you?

I went to Virtual Box (Sun, now Oracle) because it has USB support in guests. I like that.

• Jeff Moden (12/16/2010)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/16/2010)

Jeff Moden (12/15/2010)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/14/2010)

Is it now more, or less, frightening?

It depends... where's your other hand? 🙂

A knife, a real knife

Heh... the one on the right with the skirt... that's you, huh? 😀

That's a kilt, and I am on the right....with the American Flag behind me. You just can't see it.

• Anyone see today's XKCD[/url]? I now have a new idea of how to explain indexing to business users...

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Gianluca Sartori (12/17/2010)

mister.magoo (12/16/2010)

WayneS (12/16/2010)

So, what say you?

Check out Oracle's (previously Sun's) VirtualBox - it's free and can run VMWare and Virtual PC images as well as it's own. I find it to be excellent.

One more vote for VirtualBox. Incredibly fast and stable. I use it for my Linux VMs to play with Oracle.

I see an x86 and amd64 version. Too bad they don't have an intel 64 bit version.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 22,591 through 22,605 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply