Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS (12/16/2010)

Here's just two of the reasons why I've turned it off:

I just typed this successfully in 2008 SSMS with Intellisense on (which it always is):

SELECT rn = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY N.n ORDER BY N.n)

FROM Performance.dbo.Nums N;

I always write "SELECT *" (horrors!) before going on to type the FROM clause, using a table alias. I then go back and type the column list. Works for me, is the whole of my point.

• WayneS (12/16/2010)

What are your preferences for VM machines - VMWare or VirtualPC?

I've been using VMWare for years (and am happy with it), but to install a 64-bit Windows 7 and Denali, I'll need to upgrade (again) at $100.

So, what say you?

I prefer virtual pc myself. I can more easily port my VMs around with me by using virtual pc/server.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Craig Farrell (12/16/2010)

WayneS (12/16/2010)

I can't believe that the "View is not ordered with an order by" thread is still going on. It's been thoroughly explained, and yet, still.....

Hehehe, and as usual, I'm not helping any... :Whistling:

Yep! Left that one.... I actually went back to the beginning of this thread and if one was inclined to make a career of 'SQL comedy' or Programmer humour this would be a gold mine.

It's friday and I'm just finishing the SQL2008R2 upgrade on a raft of servers so what better to do than read something that made Mon thru Thurs worth doing.

CodeOn

πŸ˜›

• Paul White NZ (12/16/2010)

WayneS (12/16/2010)

I just typed this successfully in 2008 SSMS with Intellisense on (which it always is):

I always write "SELECT *" (horrors!) before going on to type the FROM clause, using a table alias. I then go back and type the column list. Works for me, is the whole of my point.

Sometimes it will work for me; usually it does what I showed. I did have the from clause in there first.

I also frequently have issues when typing FOR XML - as soon as I press space after the XML, it puts in something starting with XML (XMLNameSpaces?)

As Brandie mentioned, it just gets in my way too much, so I turned it off. I like the idea, but not the implementation. Perhaps if there was an option to not do things on keywords, but just objects, it might be okay for me.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Paul White NZ (12/16/2010)

WayneS (12/16/2010)

In that query, the place where intellisense always fouls up for me is PARTITION. For whatever reason, it always wants to select something else there automatically.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• OP finds out that ROW_NUMBER() isn't available on SQL 2000. His solution: write your own!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• CirquedeSQLeil (12/16/2010)

In that query, the place where intellisense always fouls up for me is PARTITION. For whatever reason, it always wants to select something else there automatically.

Yup, and as Wayne remarked, FOR XML. There are lots of other examples. Personally, I find the benefits outweigh the irritations, and I am not about to spend $X on an undoubtedly-superior tool from RedGate. These are all personal decisions, as I said.

• Malcolm Daughtree (12/16/2010)

Yep! Left that one.... I actually went back to the beginning of this thread and if one was inclined to make a career of 'SQL comedy' or Programmer humour this would be a gold mine.

You might want to take another look. Thanks for the help on understanding ordering though! I think I'm getting there.

• mister.magoo (12/16/2010)

WayneS (12/16/2010)

What are your preferences for VM machines - VMWare or VirtualPC?

I've been using VMWare for years (and am happy with it), but to install a 64-bit Windows 7 and Denali, I'll need to upgrade (again) at $100.

So, what say you?

Check out Oracle's (previously Sun's) VirtualBox - it's free and can run VMWare and Virtual PC images as well as it's own. I find it to be excellent.

One more vote for VirtualBox. Incredibly fast and stable. I use it for my Linux VMs to play with Oracle.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• GSquared (12/16/2010)

I like the Red Gate intellisense more than the SSMS default, but I have to admit, they both get in the way as often as they help, till you get used to them.

I've always thought From should come before Select anyway. Makes more sense to me. So starting with "Select * From", building the From clause, and then going back and building the Select clause, and getting Intellisense prompts that way, seems okay to me.

Works for me too, but usually "SELECT TOP 10 * FROM", just a handy habit to get into.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris-439714 (12/17/2010)

GSquared (12/16/2010)

I like the Red Gate intellisense more than the SSMS default, but I have to admit, they both get in the way as often as they help, till you get used to them.

I've always thought From should come before Select anyway. Makes more sense to me. So starting with "Select * From", building the From clause, and then going back and building the Select clause, and getting Intellisense prompts that way, seems okay to me.

Works for me too, but usually "SELECT TOP 10 * FROM", just a handy habit to get into.

Has anyone tried SQLComplete intellisense[/url]? I'm trying it and it doesn't look bad at all. Since I work on 2005 servers it comes very handy. Moreover it's completely free.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (12/17/2010)

Has anyone tried SQLComplete intellisense[/url]? I'm trying it and it doesn't look bad at all. Since I work on 2005 servers it comes very handy. Moreover it's completely free.

I liked the description enough to download it. I'll try it over the next few days, but I'm hoping I will owe you a beer after this...

• Paul White NZ (12/17/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (12/17/2010)

I liked the description enough to download it. I'll try it over the next few days, but I'm hoping I will owe you a beer after this...

Just be sure to turn off "Auto List Members" and "Auto Parameter Info" if you're working on a database with lots of objects or you will have SSMS freeze for a while at times.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (12/17/2010)

Just be sure to turn off "Auto List Members" and "Auto Parameter Info" if you're working on a database with lots of objects or you will have SSMS freeze for a while at times.

Two beers.

• Paul White NZ (12/17/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (12/17/2010)

Two beers.

πŸ˜€

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 15 posts - 22,576 through 22,590 (of 66,569 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply