Are table restores possible

• I want to know if a table restore is possible in SQL Server 2008 R2. I don't want to restore a database and then pull table a table out of it. I am not interested in HA Solutions.I don't want to use Litespeed.

Please let me know.

• if the table is on it's own filegroup then yes , otherwise no

• Not natively.

If you want that you will need a 3rd party product (Litespeed, SQLBackup, etc) or you could use something like Hyperbak that lets you mount a backup as a database (without restoring it) and extract tables.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • steveb. (3/15/2011)

if the table is on it's own filegroup then yes , otherwise no

Kinda, but not to an earlier point in time. Would need to restore filegroup then log backups to get restored filegroup back up to point of rest of DB (unless read only)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Without going to a third party product, your options are extremely limited to already having configured the system to restore a filegroup as outlined above, or doing a full restore to a new database and then copying the table from the new database to your original database. That's it. And since it's unlikely that you have all your tables on individual filegroups (and no, that's a really bad idea), you're left with no choices but to do the full restore.

If you were to look at other products, you might want to check out Red Gate Virtual Restore[/url]. It allows you to simply connect to the backup and read data from it, without actually having to run a restore.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Actually, there's another way depending on how far back you need to go. In a previous company, we used the abilities of our EMC SAN to build an exact duplicate of our production database as a reporting database every night at midnight. It won't help you recover to a "point in time" for all rows, but it'll act as a kind of "restore" if you don't mind going back to whenever you rebuild the Reporting database. If none of "today's" data were damaged, you could repair any data up to those with last modified dates up to midnight (for example).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Microsoft says "You cannot back up or restore individual tables."

Best option in my openion is restore full + tlog backup to new database and extract the table data.

Else you need to use third party tool if you are lucky.

HTH

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply