ANYTHING about Performance and System Monitoring

• A friend of mine is gonna have an interview next week, and he is specially asked to prepare on Performance monitoring. What kind of questions can he expect to get and how to tackle this.

I guess the company is totally into query performance and database sizing as well. anybody at all who can help on this? It is okay to just write about anything at all, anything that you do in your everyday life as a DBA. Also how you could find and tune indexes........Anything at all guys and GURUS!!!!;)

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• Profiler and Perfmon are your bestest friends. There are also a number of dynamic management views available in 2005 that list missing indexes, etc.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• How would you explain about Profiler? Many think that this tool tends to slow down performance at the time it runs? How would you go about that if asked?

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• Well, back in the day... 6.5, 7.0, that was true, to a degree. But it hasn't been true at all for years & years now. Here's an introduction to performance monitoring[/url], but it just barely scratches the surface. This is a huge topic.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• A week of preparation on this is not enough... but I'd say your best bet is to curl up with Books Online for the next week...

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/e9099cce-7f81-4808-8523-587bbcdc1720.htm

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/c2eb5f77-2dc1-49b4-bd19-2cdac4c6cae1.htm

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/31529dfe-68e7-49f7-b3c2-39fcecf33a95.htm

... an exam-cram of this nature is probably not going to help in a technical interview... you have to actually do these things to get past a good interviewer.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• p.s. You friend DOES know what Books Online is, doesn't (s)he??? I figure if you have to ask questions on this forum for him/her, they just might not know.

In case you can't tell, I'm not real friendly towards people who think the can cram for something like this.

By the way... does your friend like porkchops by any chance? 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Porkchops? Why anyone else? I will take it.....:D

Well, I know.....it is not easy without doing those things by yourself. I am a Business Intellingence developer myself and I have always advised people about that many times. But, yeah, all of you guys are given credits for sharing things. I am also in the process of becoming a DBA myself, so I can also take advantage over what is discussed here. By the way, what else is a major DBA job? I know one major one is Performance Monitoring. Other include backup. But could you guys spare some more time explaining. It is getting interesting on me.:)

• SQL King (3/6/2008)

Porkchops? Why anyone else? I will take it.....:D

Careful what you ask for. Jeff purportedly serves them up with the use of a slingshot (My take on that being to show how the poor choice of tools could be hazardous to your health:)). I'm sure he'll chime in if he has some other imagery in mind when serving his pork chops "au slinghsot".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply