Any SQL developer volunteers needed?

• I would like to help others using SQL to develop my skills.  Does anyone know of any projects I can volunteer for?

• You're already on one of the greatest projects there is.  Start answering questions on the these forums.  You won't find a broader range of real life problems to solve anywhere else in the world.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Jeff

• If you get bored with "just" answering questions on the forums (hard to imagine, but let's assume that happens) then check out the "articles requested" forum for things Steve is looking for. Pick a topic, research it and write it up. Even if it never gets published, the process of learning, writing and explaining it to others will build your skills.

Alternative thought too, teach your peers at work. Set up lunch and learns, pick a few topics you think would help everyone, and go to town. Encourage them to ask you questions, they'll find innovative ways to challenge you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• To add to both what I and Jonathan suggested that will help a whole lot, both for the reader and the self-edification of the author, always remember this simple rule (IIRC, this is an Albert Einstein quote)...

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't know it well enough."

With that idea in mind, consider the "Feynman Technique" for teaching yourself, which also helps with teaching others...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Feynman+Technique&t=ffab&ia=web

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Listen to Jeff on this.    He helped me out tremendously, as he has helped countless others.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Some really good advice there, cheers 🙂

• I don't know where you are located, but you can always reach out to local non-profits to see if they use SQL Server and if they do they are always willing to have someone volunteer their time to help.

• Thanks Jack - I hadn't though of that and it's something I will look into.

First I think I'm going to focus on getting the certification below as it's under £60 for me as a student, and when I can I will post on the forums. That way I can easily evidence my knowledge and support it with my previous job roles related to database development.

MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Development

Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate

This certification demonstrates your skills as a database professional, for both on-premises and cloud-based databases.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply