Any reason to start out with a version other than SQL Server 2005?

• Hi gang, about to embark on starting an application from scratch, and I have the unique opportunity to choose the version of SQL Server for us to use.  Application will be on the internet, not a huge database potential, using Visual Studio 2003 for software.  Is there any reason to go with something other than SQL Server 2005?

Thanks! 

• SQL2005 skills are still a bit hard to find this year.  By next year it will become hard to find people willing to work on SQL2000.  Likewise with VS2005 and VS2003.

Windows 64-bit experience is a bit hard to find this year.  By next year it will become hard to find people willing to work on 32-bit.

I would definitely go for SQL2005 and VS2005 for a new project, and use 64-bit if the infrastructure people are happy to support it. 

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• With all of the added SECURITY features in SQL 2005 and the fact that you running on the Internet, I think SQL 2005 is your best bet.

Have a good day,

Norene Malaney

• Let's add a touch of reality as well now. SQL2000 is extremely stable. SQL 2005 is somewhat stable, but extremely bug infested since it is another total rewrite of the product. My stake would be if stability is most valued for your application then 2000 is the present choice. If you can deal with production bugs and outages then go ahead with 2005. Oh, I don't buy the majority of the security argument of 2005 over 2000. A properly architected solution is just as secure in 2000 as in 2005.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I disagree with the statement "SQL 2005 is somewhat stable, but extremely bug infested ", I've found it to be very stable, and much more robust than 2000.....

• Excellent input and comments everyone, thank you.  Your remarks are great to see.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply