Any one can send me answers for these

• GilaMonster (11/22/2008)

A senior DBA who doesn't know how to do performance monitoring or how to kill a connection? I could accept that of a junior with only a couple years experience maybe.

Heh... I love the way you fire off porkchops... quick, accurate, deadly, very close range. 😛

I'll add that Sr. DBA's don't need to tell anyone who they are... people just know. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• i'm still trying to decipher the last post :blink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Heh... sorry, Perry... bit of an inside joke. I'll explain it sometime, but not here.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I'm too busy to learn how to keep the log from growing? No. I'm actually not too busy to learn that one. I'm too busy to learn how to figure out how to troubleshoot performance issues? You know, again, I'd have to say, no, I'm not too busy to learn that one either. As a matter of fact, based on those questions and the responses posted here, I have to wonder just what the OP is busy doing? Those sound like pretty fundamental, even introductory level questions, not Sr. DBA "Wow, never heard that one before" type of issues.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Jeff Moden (11/22/2008)

Heh... sorry, Perry... bit of an inside joke. I'll explain it sometime, but not here.

Jeff, send it over PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Jeff Moden (11/22/2008)

GilaMonster (11/22/2008)

A senior DBA who doesn't know how to do performance monitoring or how to kill a connection? I could accept that of a junior with only a couple years experience maybe.

Heh... I love the way you fire off porkchops... quick, accurate, deadly, very close range. 😛

I'll add that Sr. DBA's don't need to tell anyone who they are... people just know. 😉

Ah, the famous Porkchop Thread... I'd almost forgotten about that one...

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Tim Mitchell (11/28/2008)

Jeff Moden (11/22/2008)

GilaMonster (11/22/2008)

Ah, the famous Porkchop Thread... I'd almost forgotten about that one...

Famous AND Delicious!

Ummmm..., Pork Chops...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I am surprise to so negative reaction to the question of Venkat. I have the same problem as his question number one and I would like to hear different answers very much! Only 1 person answered directly, it's Albert Matubis.

What is the pork chop? 😀 I mean I know what it is but what does it mean here?

• Oksana March (11/28/2008)

I am surprise to so negative reaction to the question of Venkat. I have the same problem as his question number one and I would like to hear different answers very much! Only 1 person answered directly, it's Albert Matubis.

Well, let's see, he did not ask just one question, he asked a bunch of questions.

And he did not ask bunch of related question, but a bunch of questions in three unrelated areas.

And they were ALL the kind of questions that get asked in interviews.

And some of them were questions that almost any DBA should be able to answer on their own.

Now, while there is nothing wrong with any one of these things, together they practically yell out either someone trying to get our help on interview questions, which is unethical, or someone who is "posing", which is even worse (see Phil Factor's excellent description of these dangerous mimics here[/url]).

If the OP had posted each group of questions separately, and spaced out over time, I doubt that anyone would have batted an eye. And if you have similar questions, then start a new thread and post them there. We answer 99% of them with no concerns about the poster's motives.

As for Pork Chops, that's for Jeff to explain... 😛

EDIT: Fixed Phil Factor's link .

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Oksana March (11/28/2008)

I am surprise to so negative reaction to the question of Venkat.

It wasn't so much what he asked, as how he asked it and how he responded to those who answered. Often a bunch of unrelated questions with no context (and no apparent research done) are either homework or interview questions. We don't answer either here.

If you have a question, post it, give some context and show that you've done a little bit of reading yourself, people will happily answer.

Remember that we're all volunteers. None of us get paid to post here and we do it in our free time.

It's an in-joke. Don't worry about it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • rbarryyoung (11/28/2008)

(see Phil Factor's excellent description of these dangerous mimics here).

Where? Link goes to Phil's list of articles. Not sure which one you're referring to.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks, Gail. I don't know what happened, but it is working correctly now.

[/font]

• Owing to a response I had given once before and that I won't replay here, the word "pork chop" has become a metaphor for setting someone straight, usually with indisputable facts or questions related to facts that should be.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Oh... and I agree with both Barry and Gail as to why people took exception to both the original post and the very "pork chop" deserving replies that he made.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I believe I agree with you'll to some extent, but not totally. If you guys know a lot of the DBA stuff, at least do not make fun of others who might not be knowing that well or do not understand the concepts the way you'll might be knowing. Sometimes, it is due to lack of learning, and information, and most of the times it is mostly due to proper guidance, and exposure. I am not sure where the user resides, but we do not always have the luxury, and details to materials that you'll might be having access to. I do understand that you'll have done all the hard work, and research to come up to the level of experience that you'll possess now, but think of the days when you'll were starting with no prior experience into this field, and everything was new. I know the person claims to be a Sr. DBA, but at time there are situations that even a Sr. DBA fails to know answers to basic questions.

SQL Server Community is such a great community, and I would only request you'll who are helping DBA's like us in our jobs to at least not make fun of the skills we might be having, and what we might not possess, but try, and respect each, and every one, and yes at times the OP needs to understand that this is a forum, and we need to provide more details in order for anyone to provide any kind of help. But, for this specific thread I think the limit of sarcasm just got over the top, and should've been handled in a better way. I mean you can always request the OP to post more details or simply don't answer his questions if you don't feel like. If you're helping someone don't embarrass them at least.

Sorry, about if I am interfering but I found it really sad for the way you'll have handled the issue with the OP.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply