Annoyances

• Katie Walker (4/1/2009)

The other good one was when a nurse plugged the power strip into itself and it took me 20 minutes of asking her questions to figure it out.

A nurse analogy springs to mind. If you insert one end of a catheter in one receptacle, you don't insert the other end in another receptacle on the same body, right?

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • My favorite help desk call was when the Paper Mill I worked out was shut down for maintenance so many areas had no power. Then I got the call, "My Computer is not working". Is the power on? No it won't turn on. As I was getting ready to head over, a little more than a 1/4 mile away, a co-worker says, "Isn't the power off over there?". I called the user back and asked if there was power in the building and they said, "No". So I told them that the computer needed power, so it wouldn't work until the power was turned back on in the building. I hung up and the laughter commenced.

• Katie, that one reminds me of one when I worked at BT.

A user had plugged her modem into the microfilter, into an extension lead, and the extension lead into the other plug on the microfilter! Also took ages to diagnose. Doh!

• The AC system always roaring over my head, but never working. It's either too hot or too cold.

Agree with everyone else, cell phones ringing and speaker phone and the people screaming on each of them...

Oh well....

• I'm SO hot atm!

They seem to control our office temp unless it's really hot, in which case they put the heating on! WOW it's toasty in here!

(Probs doesn't help that I have 4 PCs under my desk!)

• Jack Corbett (4/1/2009)

My favorite help desk call was when the Paper Mill I worked out was shut down for maintenance so many areas had no power. Then I got the call, "My Computer is not working". Is the power on? No it won't turn on. As I was getting ready to head over, a little more than a 1/4 mile away, a co-worker says, "Isn't the power off over there?". I called the user back and asked if there was power in the building and they said, "No". So I told them that the computer needed power, so it wouldn't work until the power was turned back on in the building. I hung up and the laughter commenced.

Jack, I have a good one for you! This guy bought himself a new computer had it setup and was working on WordPerfect when all of a sudden his screen goes blank. He phones the techies at the company where he bought the computer and told them what happened. The techie ask him if he can just make sure that his computer's power cable isn't maybe loose. Hang on he says. Came back to the phone and says he can't see a thing behind the computer 'cause it's to dark. Can't you switch a light on to see the techie asks. No says the client, we have a power failure. Oh says the techie, have you still got the box and all the accessories that came with the computer? Yes. Well says the techie, pack everything nicely back in the box as you got it and take it back to the salesman that you bought it from and tell him you are too stupid to use this computer. Needless to say the techie got a very stern written warning with the promise that he will get fired if it happens again. What will users drive a person to!!!

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Ah, the old power outage trick.

I used to work with a bunch of programmers that wanted their offices dark, and by dark, I mean no lights, shades drawn tight, and in some cases taped. Doubt they'd have noticed the power outage either at first.

• Manie,

That's a good one, I think I've heard a similar story before.

Steve,

I don't usually turn on the lights, but I do let natural light in. Of course the emergency light is near my area so I'd see that come on.

• People who act like they know everything already when you offer a suggestion, then proceed to mess it up and ask for your help to solve it.

People who, after you politely explain why you cant help them and who should be able to, continue to give a lengthy description of their issue anyway.

People who say they need something urgently, but when you ask them for detail you need to get it done dont reply to you for 2 days.

People standing around in the kitchen area having a long personal conversation and blocking access to the one hot water point.  I have like 3 minutes to get a coffee and "unhydrate" before a meeting.  Go and sit somewhere - there are tables.

People who are cold, even when its hot and turn the radiators on.  By the afternoon its like working in a sauna.

People 🙂

• I have 3. The one who clips his fingernails at his desk with very loud audible clicks, people who drum on their desk, especially if its where the vibrations come through the wall, and the one who eats at his cubical and insists on talking with his team while his mouth is full or on speakerphone.

I wear headphones most of the time, it helps, but not always. 🙂

• I probably let this annoy me much more than I should.

Outlook Message Backgrounds. I consistently receive emails from a select few people that have applied default backgrounds which make it difficult to even read the message in the email. To make matters worse, the backgrounds stick each time someone replies.

I know, sometimes these backgrounds can be useful. Just not when the background color almost matches the font color.

As a result, I now frequently visit the Change a message background page in Office Support to remind myself how to remove these. 🙂

• I had a coworker once (luckily sitting in other room) who was a ~40 years old single and lived in a guesthouse/motel. I don't know, what he did wrong, but his clothings smelled so musty / stale, that you would automatical walk a step back, when you entered his office.

After a few weeks (I met him not very often) I wrote a mail with the subject "Taboo subject" and just put a few quickly googled links what to do vs. musty clothes to him. It helped and starting the next week his bad odor was vanished (I assume he was not aware of it himself or had no idea what to do and / or nobody (particularly his coworker in his office) was honest / brave enough to tell him about).

God is real, unless declared integer.

• latkinson wrote:

I have 3. The one who clips his fingernails at his desk with very loud audible clicks, people who drum on their desk, especially if its where the vibrations come through the wall, and the one who eats at his cubical and insists on talking with his team while his mouth is full or on speakerphone.

I wear headphones most of the time, it helps, but not always. 🙂

I don't have a drummer on the other side of the cube wall. I have a hummer. I brought a fan into work; so when he starts humming, I will turn on the fan for white noise. Once I return to the office after COVID-19 settles down, I doubt that I'll be able to run the fan. I do have headphones now, so I'll plug into my tablet and run the SiriusXM radio app.

Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply