Annoyances

• We live/work in a zoo. Between the person that sleeps most of the day, the one that stares at a screen and can only do one function at a time, there is a worse problem. Our boss is an I-gotist. That is the ultimate egotist. It does not matter that one guy (the sleeper) has had pneumonia 5 times, our boss had it worse. Nobody can top any of his stories, so we just listen, and once he is out of the room, we laugh. He never reads a manual and gives demonstrations of new software by winging it. Very hard to take notes when things continue to fail as you go along.

• Coworker who does not put their cell phone on vibrate when in the office...and has the MOST annoying ring tone!

• I get peeved when someone is working with me at my desk and rearranges everything in Visual Studio so I have to put everything back the way I want when the person leaves.

Our team documents are in a common directory, and there are so many folders and subfolders that it's impossible to find anything. Every once in a while I'll rail and say "I wish I could redo this whole mess!". I'm sure if the creator of this were on this forum, he'd be mentioning my name about now:cool:

• Irritation: People who shout and bellow instead of speaking. I'm not that interested in what you did last night and who said what

Really Hate: Practical jokers. If you challenge they say ' Can't you take a joke?'. Doh its not funny

Madame Artois

• I used to get really steamed about the people who would take the last cup of coffee and walk out without starting a fresh pot, not because there wasn't any coffee when I got there, but because of the implied message, "I'm too busy/important to make coffee..You can do it." But that doesn't bug me anymore.

Now my pet peeve is when I try to show a particular person a coding technique that I know he doesn't know, and he keeps trying to complete my sentences before I can say it - to show how smart he is, even when he has no idea! Finally, one time I just had to stop talking and wait for a few seconds, and then said, "Are you done guessing yet?"

In a general note, long personal phone calls in the cube drive me crazy. Take it outside!

• Ok, you guys have seen me rant about her before, but here goes:

1. Always the first to find 'free food' on the floor

yet NEVER brings any food to work for our group. We all do. There should be a term for this. (Chowhound? Grubmonger?)

2. Asks me the same questions about her job over and over.

3. Constantly clearing her throat.

4. Never motivated to learn about her job (tutorials, books, etc).

5. Always grabs one or two of us when she gets an assignment.

6. Can never get an assignment right. I then, become the cleaner.

7. Lacks any intuitive ability - can't seem to reason, think things through. Or just too lazy to do it.

8. Feels compelled to tell me about her health issues that at times, are, well, disturbing. ("Look at this blister!"). I shut that down quick.

9. Comes in late, takes 1.5 hr lunches each day (we're allowed 45 minutes).

10. Constantly pulling up her stretch pants. Same garb each day. Black stretch pants and endless stream of oversized animal print moo-moos.

There have been complaints about the odor of alcohol as well.

I'll stop here but there's oh so much more! Puzzling thing is: why is she still here? My manager does not like confrontation. :crazy:

• I'm certain I annoy more people than they annoy me, but it's pretty minimal either way.

The things I've been annoyed by have been more serious than the purpose of this thread.

Edit: Okay. Just got forcefully reminded of something that really, really annoys me. Too much perfume/cologn/stinkum of whatever sort. Someone just walked by my cube, and my eyes are watering, my throat is burning, and I can barely breath.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• "convince them your a nut and that they had better stay away from you." -- Grasshopper

never been able to successfully accomplish this, can't seem to get past the Teddy bear phase, any suggestions?

Anybody know where I can get a cone of silence? :w00t:

-- Optimist with experience and still learning

• Ed Salva (3/27/2009)

Anybody know where I can get a cone of silence? :w00t:

Just be sure you press the button all the way 😉

• Along the lines of all the speaker phone issues going around... but people who dial out on speaker phone, let the thing ring until someone picks up and then pick up the reciever once someone answers.

Drives me crazy when I just finished writting up documentation (using proper formatting), and someone switches all the styles and fonts so that the index I added to the documentation no longer works.

• Along the lines of all the speaker phone issues going around... but people who dial out on speaker phone, let the thing ring until someone picks up and then pick up the reciever once someone answers.

Drives me crazy when I just finished writting up documentation (using proper formatting), and someone switches all the styles and fonts so that the index I added to the documentation no longer works.

• Paul (3/27/2009)

My biggest annoyance is people talking to themselves. Either out loud or whispering, it doesn't matter, it's just too distracting because you think they could be talking to you.

My wife does this, LOL, I used to answer, now I just put on headphones when she's "discussing" something.:w00t:

• bob.willsie (3/27/2009)

Because of that experience I actually developed several interview questions to make sure I weed these type of people out early in the process.

That's a great idea. Glad you shared.

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/27/2009)

bob.willsie (3/27/2009)

Because of that experience I actually developed several interview questions to make sure I weed these type of people out early in the process.

That's a great idea. Glad you shared.

Be even better if Bob shared some idea of the questions themselves so that we could all begin crafting ways to get around bringing in someone who will just annoy us to death.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Ronn Hudzick (3/27/2009)

We live/work in a zoo. Between the person that sleeps most of the day, the one that stares at a screen and can only do one function at a time, there is a worse problem. Our boss is an I-gotist. That is the ultimate egotist. It does not matter that one guy (the sleeper) has had pneumonia 5 times, our boss had it worse. Nobody can top any of his stories, so we just listen, and once he is out of the room, we laugh. He never reads a manual and gives demonstrations of new software by winging it. Very hard to take notes when things continue to fail as you go along.

Is his name Michael Scott?

I knew a guy like that, we used to deliberately feed him stuff to see what he's say.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply