Annoyances

• That said, I really despise people singing when they have headphones on in the next cube. I mean, I do it... but when others do it drives me crazy. It really makes my life hell. Heh.

I'm a professional singer and I know better than to sing with headphones on (when people are in ear shot). :hehe:

• I am mostly bothered by intelligent, capable people who are lazy, shiftless, slobs.

I'm also irritated by ignorance that could be corrected by a little initiative.

• Working in a multilingual environment with everyone speaking their native tongue. In our office we have Americans, German, Latinos and a smattering of Indians.

I know that they are not talking to me - but it is distracting for some reason to hear an unfamiliar tongue.

Now we know when Canada is 50 million people the US will be operating with less engineers per population.

:Whistling: :hehe:

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Another angle on the ever-popular speakerphones - which I hear were used quite effectively in Gitmo to gain valuable intel.

Fortunately this happened only one place I worked and it was several years ago. This one guy listened to all his VOICE MAILS on his speakerphone - volume up of course - and he got a fair number of them too. To me this has got to take the cake in terms of speakerphone rudeness - as if all the people around you need to listen to your voice mails. At first I actually thought it was a joke - like I was on Candid Camera -but it wasn't. After a week or so of that, I talked to him about it and the problem was solved. I don't think he had any idea it was annoying anyone.

• GSquared (3/27/2009)

I'm certain I annoy more people than they annoy me, but it's pretty minimal either way.

The things I've been annoyed by have been more serious than the purpose of this thread.

Edit: Okay. Just got forcefully reminded of something that really, really annoys me. Too much perfume/cologn/stinkum of whatever sort. Someone just walked by my cube, and my eyes are watering, my throat is burning, and I can barely breath.

I agree with the odor thing. When you can TASTE the perfume or cologne, or have it burn your eyes or throat, it is waaaay too much.

• sing4you (3/27/2009)

I'm a professional singer and I know better than to sing with headphones on (when people are in ear shot). :hehe:

Are we going to hear some singing without headphones? Any YouTube video?

• Thank you all of the great laughs this morning.

I think one of my pet peeves are people who continually come into meetings 5-10 min late and then we have to repeat everything again for their benefit.

For a long time I was also the only woman in the group and sometimes I had to remind the guys that they weren't in a locker room and it was way too much information. They've gotten much better. 😀

The speakerphone one that gets me is when two or three people are on the same call and they all have it on speaker so not only do you hear them live, you also hear them delayed in the phone. I wish they would go get a conference room.

The other big one that annoys me are people who open the beer cans in their cubes before the 5 o'clock bell rings. Or they display every bottle of booze that they have consumed. Then the area smells like old alcohol. If I wanted that, I'd go down to the local bar. I feel so much better for getting it out. Thanks everyone!

• Probably already stated in a prior post (I don't have time to cover 60 + posts at the moment) but I wanted to chime in. One of the guys in the cube farm loves the speaker phone - I don't need to hear his conversations with vendors and/or his weak attempts at humor (which always seems to totally crack him up). And if he's not on the phone it's his incessant whistling. Most days I can tune it all out but there are some days where I may be on edge a bit and it just makes my skin crawl. Subtle hints have yet to resolve the problem - may be time to call in the porkchop assassin, just one clean hit ought to do it - or maybe two for good measure. 😀

Bottomline though, it could be worse - at least I still have a job.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Katie Walker (3/27/2009)

The other big one that annoys me are people who open the beer cans in their cubes before the 5 o'clock bell rings. Or they display every bottle of booze that they have consumed. Then the area smells like old alcohol.

This occurs in your workplace????? :w00t:

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Yes unfortunately it does.:-P

• Wow, we can't even have alcohol on the premises here or we lose our jobs immediately.

I am on YouTube. Search for Liz Henry Richardson. I'm singing and playing keyboard at Kick Butt Coffee.

• Very nice! Great voice.

Perhaps I should get some guest music/video for a podcast 😉

• Hmmm.. I guess I don't have it as bad as I thought.... after reading all these, I'll just quietly put my headphones on and get on with my day .

(BTW - my peeve is the next cube/door neighbor did the speakerphone thing until my colleague asked her if a conference room wouldn't be a better option! The ongoing one now is dialing on speakerphone until the person or his/her voicemail picks up... she's doing it right now!!!!!!!!!!!!! argh)

• Thanks, Steve. I'm afraid I'm totally inept with video. My T'ai Chi instructor did those with his camera. If there's a particular one you want, I'm sure he'll know what to do:-)

• I worked with this young guy - he was about 23 and he played hard core rap music (not loud) at his cube. I'm a music lover myself but I'm 43 and too darn old (and tired) to be a playa.... After a while I knew the words to several of his favorite songs. By the end of the week I was about ready to pop-a-cap in somebody's arse!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply