Analysis Services 2005 Passing paramenters from AS to SSRS

• Hi, I want to be able to call a Reporting Services report as an action from an Analysis Services cube and have the query run for a single dimension member.

For example the dimension is a list of suppliers, the RS query exposes data related to the suplier (address, insurance details, tax status, telephone number etc.). I want to be able to query a single contractor (I can get a list of all my suppliers, no problem) and so need to pass the contractor as a parameter to the query.

Any ideas on whether this is possible and, if it is, how I might go about it?

Thanks for bearing with this

Duncan 😀

All the best,

Duncan

• Why not have all those extra details as attributes in your dimension table?

Cheers,

Ben Sullins
    bensullins.com
    Beer is my primary key...

• Ben, good point.

I'm not keen on "cluttering up" the cube. Most of the cubes we supply to customers have in excess of twenty dimensions and this can be daunting for what is an immature user base. However, they do like their reports, so providing something in a familiar format is useful.

The other reason for cracking this is I want to be able to replicate the kind of drill-to-detail available in SS2000. The only way to do this is to build a SSRS report and link it to cubes.

My original question I saw as being the first step towards this ultimate goal.

Thanks,

Duncan

All the best,

Duncan

• I'm not a SSAS expert but can't you create a perspective off the cube that would allow you to expose just the details the user wants to see when browsing the cube, removing the 'clutter' that they may not want to see always...

Having that data in the cube would allow you to easily build an SSRS report (with parameters) that you could publish to the report server for the users to consume without them even knowing the source. Also when they browsed the cube the new perspectives would hide the additional attributes keeping it simple enough for them still...

There probably is a way to do what you're after I just can't think of and if I was faced with the same challenge I think the above is what I would go with...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ben Sullins
    bensullins.com
    Beer is my primary key...

• Ben, thanks for your response. I'll have a play with perspectives, see what they can deliver.

All the best,

Duncan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply