Analysis Services (1 Enterprise license)

• We have 1 SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition license. This install is on our SharePoint server. We now have an application on a separate server with SQL 2005 Standard Edition. The vendor is telling us that we need Analysis Services. Is there a way we could use Analysis Services on the Standard Edition without upgrading to Enterprise Edition on that server? Can we somehow utilize the Enterprise Edition on our SharePoint server. Of course I don't want to publish to the actual SharePoint server. I want to publish to the server with Standard Edition.

A programmer I know mentioned daisy chains, but I have not researched this.

I appreciate your input.

• You can use standard edition for Analysis Service.

[font="Verdana"]--www.sqlvillage.com[/size][/font]

• It appears I need an additional processor license.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/sqlserverlicensing.mspx

SQLserver2005Licensingv1.1.doc

Thanks for your help.

• Be sure to also consider how you plan on using Analysis Services, and the additional resources it may require. Not all products play too well on the same machine. If you run into a memory constraint, both SQL and SSAS can become unresponsive.

x64 bit allows more memory to be addressed which can be a big help, especially when running multiple services on a machine. Look at the bigger picture - plan for growth.

Struggled through some of this myself - it's not fun to run SSAS and SQL on the same machine if they are competing for resources. And to top it off with IIS, especially if you run multiple app pools, is a learning curve.

Greg E

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply