An interview with Jeff Moden: Exceptional DBA of 2011 and natural helper

• Jim Murphy (9/21/2011)

Congratulations Jeff! Well deserved. Really.

I look forward to meeting you at The Summit in a few weeks!

I especially appreciate your spirit of giving. Let me tell you, as a full time consultant, many of my peers and companions are 'takers', always looking for a way to keep what they know to themselves to keep money coming in. The job security argument. I CAN'T STAND THAT! Teaching is giving and when done with a giving attitude (rather than a taking [of glory] attitude, it is a beautiful thing.

Please, keep it up as I know you will... Because you can't help it. You ARE a giver, not a taker in disguise.

Thanks for all of your help around here.

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head on the job security thing, Jim. And those poor people being so stingy with information just don't know what they're actually doing to themselves especially in the money department. I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but I've found that the information-stingy contractors are actually the ones that work themselves out of a job because word gets around that they are, in fact, stingy. The ones that are willing share information and take a bit of time to teach a couple of things to site personel are the ones who are perceived to be trustworthy, honest, helpful and a couple of other Boy Scout terms and are invited back for repeat business. And that kind of information gets around... so does the information about being stingy.

I definitely look forward to meeting you at PASS and, hopefully, at the SQLServerCentral party on Tuesday night.

And thank you for the very kind words both here and in other threads. I don't "teach" expecting to hear such things in return, but they sure are a joy. Thanks, Jim.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Chris Harshman (9/21/2011)

I'd just like to say how glad I am that Jeff is a part of the SQL Server community, and say thanks for all I've learned from his writings. He's such an inspiration! :Wow:

Gosh, Chris... thanks for the nice thoughts. I'm glad I could help.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Evil Kraig F (9/21/2011)

*claps* Rock on ya old whitebeard! Us younguns are still learnin' every day from ya! 😀

Heh... I'm really only 23! Guess I'm going to have to fire my stunt double or at least get him to shave (no chance in that, by the way) and suck in that gut! 😛

What a tremendous community we have here. Old teaches young. Young teaches old. Thanks for the great posts you've put out there, Craig.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Roy Ernest (9/21/2011)

Evil Kraig F (9/21/2011)

*claps* Rock on ya old whitebeard! Us younguns are still learnin' every day from ya! 😀

You a youngun? :hehe:

Great job Jeff.. Looking forward to meet you at the Summit. We will meet on Monday evening at the Lowells. 🙂

Now THAT sounds like a plan, Roy! I'm definitely looking forward to it! 🙂

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• ken.trock (9/21/2011)

Jeff, congratulations on the award. I know everytime I need a solution to a database programming problem my well trained programmer brain wants to construct a loop. Then I think about you and your teachings keeping us out of RBAR!

Ken

Thanks, Ken. Going back and forth between the procedural and declarative paradigms is one of the toughest things there is to do especially when someone like yourself is really good on the procedural side of the world. Glad to see that folks are mastering the shift between the two. Thanks for letting me be a part of all that.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Harveysburger (9/21/2011)

Thumbs up from Curaçao

Thank you and good to "see" you again. Is Roy going to let you go to PASS with him this year?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Congratulations, Jeff, and thank you, yet again, for everything you do and all you teach.

-Ki

• He calls himself an “Accidental DBA.” His title at DiscoverReady is Lead Application DBA and Data Architect. He’s known as a writer for SQLServerCentral.com whose articles are often read by tens of thousands. He is the lead advocate for the Anti-RBAR (Row by Agonizing Row) Alliance. He’s also a pool player, beer drinker, magnet-buff, quilter, gardener, motorcyclist, and partner to his life-long love, Debbie. But perhaps most of all, he’s a natural-born helper of others.

I find it amusing that we have this alliance... at some point Jeff, you need to create http://www.anti-rbar.com or something so that we can all actually sign up for it. 🙂

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Congratulations Jeff, I'm really pleased for you! Well done and a good interview too.

• Great interview, Jeff.

And congratulations again on the award.

Tom

• Congratulations, Jeff.

You have been deserving of an award like this for years. As a long-time SSC member and regular tally table user (and calendar table!), I thank you for everything you have given to this community, not only with your technical expertise, but your positive and caring attitude.

Hopefully, there is much more to come for you.

Mike

• Kiara (9/22/2011)

Congratulations, Jeff, and thank you, yet again, for everything you do and all you teach.

Thank you again, Kiara. I appreciate the kind words.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• mtassin (9/22/2011)

He calls himself an “Accidental DBA.” His title at DiscoverReady is Lead Application DBA and Data Architect. He’s known as a writer for SQLServerCentral.com whose articles are often read by tens of thousands. He is the lead advocate for the Anti-RBAR (Row by Agonizing Row) Alliance. He’s also a pool player, beer drinker, magnet-buff, quilter, gardener, motorcyclist, and partner to his life-long love, Debbie. But perhaps most of all, he’s a natural-born helper of others.

I find it amusing that we have this alliance... at some point Jeff, you need to create http://www.anti-rbar.com or something so that we can all actually sign up for it. 🙂

Heh... I'm just happy that people have really started to embrace the thought process of what RBAR is and how to fight it but you might have something there. Let me think about it. Thanks, Mark.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Mike McQuillan (9/22/2011)

Congratulations Jeff, I'm really pleased for you! Well done and a good interview too.

I have to admit, I was pretty nervous about the interview and how it might come out. Thank you for the feedback and the kind words, Mike.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/22/2011)

Great interview, Jeff.

And congratulations again on the award.

Thanks again, Tom. And don't you ever even think about quitting. Your posts and advice have been quite the inspiration especially when a post goes seriously offtrack. Thank you for your help!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply