An evaluation copy of SQL 2016?

• Not too long ago I downloaded SQL Server 2016. I was certain that I had downloaded the Developer Edition, which for me at home is fine. I don't host any production databases nor do I use it for work.

Well, back on December 6th I got an email from Microsoft (yeah, I know I'm late, but hey I just cannot read most of my emails from anyone, which is what I'm doing on the time off for the Christmas/New Year's holiday) congratulating me on the time I spent with the evaluation copy of SQL 2016?! I don't get it. What's happened? Why does it consider itself an evaluation copy when I wanted the Developer Edition copy?

Rod

• That's weird. Haven't seen that. But I haven't gotten dev from the main site before, so maybe it's hooked into a sales workflow of some sort.

They are different versions as Eval will expire, but Dev won't.

• Exactly. So what should I do? Uninstall it and try to download the Dev version again?

Rod

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Thank you for the reminder, Jason!

Rod

• Did you download it from a MSDN subscription or from Visual Studio Dev Essentials members?

I think there is a feature in the SQL Server installation called 'Edition Upgrade' where you can plug in a license key rather than re-installing.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (12/27/2016)

Did you download it from a MSDN subscription or from Visual Studio Dev Essentials members?

I think there is a feature in the SQL Server installation called 'Edition Upgrade' where you can plug in a license key rather than re-installing.

Its been long enough that I don't really remember where I downloaded SQL Server 2016. I remember at the time, performing a search and focusing upon SQL Server Developer Edition. It may also have had the evaluation edition right next to it. In fact, that's probably what it did have.

I just tried getting into SSMS and got the following message:

"Microsoft (R) Visual Studio Isolated Shell has been changed. Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio settings need to be reset for compatibility."

Once I got past that I got into SSMS. I tried going a Help | About to see what version it thinks I'm at. It's probably there somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where its at.

Rod

• Once I got past that I got into SSMS. I tried going a Help | About to see what version it thinks I'm at. It's probably there somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where its at.

Is this what you are looking for?

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('Edition')

Sue

• This should show if it's developer or evaluation edition.

SELECT @@VERSION

Maybe you were contacted as a follow up from a CTP or some other version previous to the final release.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Doctor Who 2 (12/27/2016)

Eric M Russell (12/27/2016)

Did you download it from a MSDN subscription or from Visual Studio Dev Essentials members?

Its been long enough that I don't really remember where I downloaded SQL Server 2016. I remember at the time, performing a search and focusing upon SQL Server Developer Edition. It may also have had the evaluation edition right next to it. In fact, that's probably what it did have.

"Microsoft (R) Visual Studio Isolated Shell has been changed. Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio settings need to be reset for compatibility."

Once I got past that I got into SSMS. I tried going a Help | About to see what version it thinks I'm at. It's probably there somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where its at.

In the past, Developer edition was not free but could be purchased for around $50. However, starting with SQL Server 2016, you can now download Developer edition for free after enrolling in Visual Studio Dev Essentials program.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Sue_H (12/27/2016)

Is this what you are looking for?

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('Edition')

Sue

That gives me:

Developer Edition (64-bit)

so, it looks like I do have the developer edition

Rod

• Eric M Russell (12/27/2016)

Doctor Who 2 (12/27/2016)

Eric M Russell (12/27/2016)

In the past, Developer edition was not free but could be purchased for around $50. However, starting with SQL Server 2016, you can now download Developer edition for free after enrolling in Visual Studio Dev Essentials program.

That might be what I've done wrong. Or put differently, what I've not done. I don't think I enrolled in the Visual Studio Dev Essentials program. How do you do that? How do I determine if I've done that or not?

Rod

• Doctor Who 2 (12/27/2016)

That might be what I've done wrong. Or put differently, what I've not done. I don't think I enrolled in the Visual Studio Dev Essentials program. How do you do that? How do I determine if I've done that or not?

Try to log in or sign up in here: https://www.visualstudio.com/dev-essentials/

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (12/27/2016)

Try to log in or sign up in here: https://www.visualstudio.com/dev-essentials/

Looks like I'm able to.

Rod

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply