Amazon Redshift

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Amazon Redshift

• Heh... one of the companies I do work for insisted that they wanted to move their heavy import, validation, and distribution system to Red Shift.  I asked "Why"?  They said because they didn't understand "Set Based" programming in SQL Server and that's what's making their current stuff slow.

BWAAAA-HAAAA-HAAAA!!!  Am I the only one that sees the irony in that?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Redshift is based on an earlier version of Postgres. It was modified to be a columnar database, but it doesn't have many of nice features and functions that were added to Postgres since it was forked.

• Aaron N. Cutshall wrote:

Redshift is based on an earlier version of Postgres. It was modified to be a columnar database, but it doesn't have many of nice features and functions that were added to Postgres since it was forked.

This is what got me to click 'Postgres compatible'  This link to the Docs says:

"Amazon Redshift is based on PostgreSQL" (first sentence)

"Redshift is specifically designed for online analytic processing (OLAP) and business intelligence (BI) applications"

"PostgreSQL 9.x includes some features that are not supported in Amazon Redshift. In addition, there are important differences between Amazon Redshift SQL and PostgreSQL that you must be aware of. This section highlights the differences between Amazon Redshift and PostgreSQL and provides guidance for developing a data warehouse that takes full advantage of the Amazon Redshift SQL implementation."

Imo the marketing positioning of Redshift is somewhat confused.  Disclaimer: I don't really know anything about Redshift and only a tiny bit of Postgres.  The Docs suggest it's good for everything and then tell you to go build a Data Warehouse with it.

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• The question is irrelevant to the possible answers and to the explanation given. The question asks about the type of database, not what Amazon Redshift is.

According to Docs AWS "Data warehouse system architecture" is Amazon Redshift a relational database management system (RDBMS), so it is compatible with other RDBMS applications.

But their documentation also states that Amazon Redshift is a fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  George Vobr.
  • Redshift is a data warehouse. That is all over the marketing and documentation. It is not available on-premises, nor is 100% compatible with PostgreSQL. I'll alter the question to note that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply