AlwaysOn Database Not Synchronizing / Suspect

• We have a database in an AlwaysOn Availability Group that has gone into a state of Not Synchronizing / Suspect on the secondary.

The reason why this happened is because the secondary ran out of disk space so the log file wasn't able to be written to. The database was set to synchronous mode.

Is the only way to recover from this to do a re-initialization or is there another way to recover?

Thanks

• on the secondary instance expand the Always Availability section. Expand Availability databases and you should see a little pause symbol on the database rather than a green arrow. Right click the database and select the option to resume data movement

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• thank you

• Perry Whittle (3/2/2015)

on the secondary instance expand the Always Availability section. Expand Availability databases and you should see a little pause symbol on the database rather than a green arrow. Right click the database and select the option to resume data movement

This solved my issue. Very good 🙂 Thank you!

• After clicking "Resume data movement" and click OK, the database shows success, but "Updating Object Explorer" error out with the following error message:

A timeout occurred while waiting for the operation to complete. Object Explorer could not be updated. Try refreshing Object Explorer manually.

So, I tried refreshing manually, but object explorer still shows "Databasename (Not synchronizing / Suspect)".

Would you please help me what should I do next?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

• Hey, was your issue fixed? I am facing the same problem

• Yes, our issue was fixed.

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I believe I did one of the following :

Click "Resume data movement" again

or

go to the secondary replica, point the database to Master, then run the following query:

ALTER DATABASE 'yourdatabasenamehere' SET HADR RESUME

GO

• jimmycjen - Monday, July 18, 2016 8:02 AM

After clicking "Resume data movement" and click OK, the database shows success, but "Updating Object Explorer" error out with the following error message:A timeout occurred while waiting for the operation to complete. Object Explorer could not be updated. Try refreshing Object Explorer manually.So, I tried refreshing manually, but object explorer still shows "Databasename (Not synchronizing / Suspect)". Would you please help me what should I do next? Thanks in advance,Jimmy

Make sure you have enough disk space for both Data and log. This is is a common problem which causes the error  "A timeout occurred while waiting for the operation to complete. Object Explorer could not be updated. " When you try to resume the data movement. 

• Thanks Perry! Your 2015 response helped me in 2020 in the middle of the night to resolve this issue.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply