altered proc, but old version is showing up on sql monitor?

• I altered a stored procedure.

When I run a trace in sql monitor it looks like the old version is still running.

I sp_recompile'd the proc, thinking that it would use the new version next time it was called because it would recompile it. That didn't seem to work.

What am I missing here? I don't need to do something like restart the service do I?

• *I mean SQL Profiler.

I guess I tried to combine SQL Profiler and Performance Monitor.

• bump

• bump?

If you recompile the proc, meaning changing the code, it should take effect immediately. If you recompiled to get a new plan, that may or may not take effect, depending on parameters.

• To bump a thread on an Internet forum is to post a reply to it purely in order to raise the thread's profile. This will typically return it to the top of the list of active threads. BUMP is sometimes used as a backronym for "Bring Up My Post/Post count" or as a recursive acronym "Bump Up My Post".

Thread bumping is commonly considered a breach of netiquette and some moderated forums forbid it. Users may get around that by posting what is ostensibly a genuine reply. Sometimes this will mockingly contain the word "bump" in it, such as "Wandering the forum, he bumps into this thread...", or be a trivial question or response such as "Anyone?". Bumping old or inactive ("dead") threads is occasionally called "necroposting" or "thread necromancy", and the bumping posts referred to as "frankenposts". "Dead" threads that are reawakened are often called "thread necros". People who resurrect old threads are often called "threadomancers". On some boards, bumping a new thread with no replies in order to elicit a response is tolerated, but resurrecting an old thread that has run its course and has been inactive for a period of time (usually anywhere from a few days to a month) is prohibited. The acceptable practice is usually to start a new thread and link to the old thread so that readers can become familiar with the background information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_(Internet)

cvm

• You may want to try using DBCC FREEPROCCACHE.  If that doesn't do it and it's a GUI proc, you may have to clear cache for the application.  Since I don't know "beans" about Java and I'm not so "sharp" at "C" , you need to figure out how to do that on your own.  You may even have to "bump" the application

DBCC FREEPROCCACHE

DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS

And, remember... this is a forum... not instant help

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This sounds like one of those wonderful computing moments when reality fails to live up to expectations.

I usually find in these cases that I have done something stupid like forgotten to change the calling routine, reapplied the old code not the new code, or made the change on the wrong system/database/server.

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

• Thanks for the replies, guys. I apologize for the breach of forum behaviour and manners.

• It's ok... heck, I guess I don't blame you about the bump on a busy forum.  When you need an answer, you need an answer and a relatively harmless bump can sometimes help if people just put themselves in your place   Beats the heck out of double posting which seems to be the real taboo on this forum

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply