All I Want for Christmas

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item All I Want for Christmas

• I totally agree with you Steve. While I do enjoy working from home and look forward to doing so permanently, I also long for in-person SQL Saturday events and other such type of gatherings. I may be an introvert but I also need social interaction occasionally. I miss physically interacting with friends - hearty handshakes and hugs included! Besides church and work, my other source of social interaction is with #sqlfamily. Church is severely curtailed due to COVID-19, work is virtual, and I miss my #sqlfamily members!! I look forward to giving and attending in-person presentations, user group meetings, and the like!

I wish you luck on your SQL Saturday bid and extend my offer to help out as needed. Long live SQL Saturday!!

• I completely agree with everything you've said here Steve.  2020 has been massively disruptive for all of us.

In January I took up the role of Development Manager within my organisation and am now responsible for a team of 5 other people.  I was just getting over the initial head-spin from that when our Corporate Head Office in Germany announced a worldwide ban on all inter-office travel and encouraged us all to work from home whenever possible.  All of a sudden, managing a team of five became a lot more challenging when we're all in different locations.  Life became an endless round of video meetings on Teams or Skype, and my regular routine of finishing at a certain time of night to catch a train home became a fond but distant memory.

I think a lot of employers have had their eyes opened to the possibilities of home-working.  Personally I can't wait to get back to the office and to be able to share in the day-to-day activities that go on there - even being able to exchange a few words or a joke with a co-worker on the stairs or while making coffee.

If one good thing comes from all this, I think it will be an attitude-adjustment for those managers who believe that if they can't see their staff they can't monitor them.  Most of us are professional enough to be able to be trusted to complete a piece of work without having someone watch over our shoulders the entire time.

Either way, I wish you the very best for the season and for the coming year, whatever it may bring.

• Thanks, both. I am so looking forward to some normalcy. I don't go to shops often, and not usually in crowds. Out with the family last night and it's still strange to me to see so many people in masks. I really don't like it.

On the plus side, I did enjoy the variety of designs and ways people cover up. A small positive lining.

• Like everyone here has said and likely more will say later, this year has been disruptive to all of us. I'd hoped to have advanced my career this year, but taht was dashed on the rocks of Corona. But there's been good as well. I totally LOVE working from home!! I'm hoping that the many managers throughout my state in lots of businesses and government agencies have learned taht their employees can be trusted to get their work done, even if they're not warming a chair in the office.

I'm taking time off, starting today and going through until the first Monday in January. Like all my colleagues, none of us have taken time off this year. Why bother if the only thing you can do is stay home? However, I've realized the last month or so that I'm dealing with a lot of stress from work. Not that its anything to do with my boss or management. Not related to interpersonal issues. I work for my state's department of health. Therefore, we're at the front lines fighting this Coronavirus. I get daily emails sent to all state employees telling us the number of new COVID-19 cases and the number of new deaths. I've realized that reading those numbers, how many in each county, etc. has weighed upon me much worse than I realized. I've begun to personalize it, thinking that I've not done enough. That its my fault there's more new cases and deaths. Objectively that's not true. We're all busting our butts to help our fellow citizens. There's been many hours overtime. To my colleagues at work, we've gone mighty things this year fighting COVID. I just need to take a break from the sad news for a while. Yeah, I'm burying my head in the sand, but I'll re-engage in January.

Rod

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply