Agree or Lose Features

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Agree or Lose Features

• I have to disagree... this isn't a "Disturbing" technique.  Companies are being forced into a position of being able to be sued because of information that they're supposed to protect.  There are likely going to be a whole lot of "features" that simply cannot be protected and so you either "give up the ghost" by signing a privacy policy that says you hold the company harmless for your usages or they remove those usages to protect themselves.

The thing that's disturbing to me is that it took decades to even start thinking of doing it right.  It's about damned time.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• If the product is free then your data is their revenue generator.

• What disturbs me more is the fact that "will never share information" gets thrown overboard.

MS baught Whatsapp for its technology.

Instead of rebranding it to MSwhatever, they opt to keep the (strong) brand name, but change the most important policy.

The fact that 'free' means the consumers are the product, does not imply this violation.

The good thing is, nowadays they have to inform consumers

** edited * added **

On the other hand, we have seen this before when MS shouted " We will always stick with socket licensing" back in 2008 ... until 2012 when their world also changed to core based licensing.

MS also reverted 1TB free storage on outlook.com to 5GB free a couple of years ago.

The same way G00gle announced their Photo platform - free when used smart -  will get counted for consumption storage volume as of june 1 2021. ( thank G everything before that will stay free ).  And only 15GB will be free from then on.

Let me know if you have valid alternatives !

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  Johan Bijnens.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I don't like this. I don't use WhatsApp. I don't even have it installed on my phone. As it turns out no one in my circle of family and friends uses WhatsApp, so it's easy for us to ignore this. But like you said, Steve, what is other companies start getting it into their heads to put our EULA that say, "You accept this, or else" attitude. Scary.

Rod

• This isn't a new trend it's been going on for a long long time that you either accept certain terms or you might lose access to certain features or even the entire product.  At a very basic level it's not any different than sign up for an account and get 10% off your first order.

Look at mobile apps in general now adays almost all of them will want access to at least some basic information that is completely unnecessary for the app to function.

• What I don't like is the website cookie pop up where you get to opt-in/out and the there are reams of things to opt out of.

Under GDPR you should not default to opt-in.  Sometimes the REJECT ALL button is greyed out.  I find it where it is going against the spirit of the law while staying in the hazy area right on the edge of the law.

• At least now they're now telling you what they plan to do with your data - assuming you choose to continue using the service.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• There are privacy focused browsers now that will route your traffic through a VPN and also will clean cookies as soon as you navigate to a different website.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply