Agile Job Descriptions

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Agile Job Descriptions

• I got hired and then I wrote the job description. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• My job description was a "programmer analyst" and had a lot of stuff about VB6 and C# development.  Then as the needs of the department changed, my job title and duties changed.  Now, the title is database administrator, but I do a lot of things outside my job description.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• My job description and what I do day-to-day are pretty different at this point.  I'm probably overqualified for what I'm doing.  A number of the projects I was brought on board to do are currently in limbo.

I still feel imposter syndrome enough that I'm not answering questions or forums or blogging like I should be.  I do a weekly session with my fellow developers on SQL Server topics at least.

• Our job title recently changed from Business Intelligence Analyst to Business Intelligence Developer.  It was an end-around move to get out of HR's decision in putting everyone who has 'Analyst' in the title to have the same pay scale.  My work duties will stay the same.  Mostly developing reports (Using Crystal Reports, Report Builder, Webi), but other duties creep in. MS-Access and MS-Excel support, including writing VBA code.  Of course writing and reviewing (other peoples) SQL code, not just Microsoft SQL.

• I got a job that was advertised wanted a C programmer. The job also included repairing IBM PS/2 computers, repairing thinnet ethernet networks, helping employees with Lotus spreadsheets and word processing.

One of the thinnet T-connectors was in the reception area. At least once a week, a chair in the reception area would be moved against the wall, breaking the T-connector and bringing the plant network down.

• What I was assigned to do, when I first started working at my current job, had absolutely nothing to do with the job description, the listing on the website, or anything else. It really felt like a bait-and-switch. I confess that I felt lied to. I came to these forums to complain and to seek what help I could get. The issue was a third party software product for a vital function we do. The architects of the product had incredibly thought that the humans entering data into the web interface would always enter the data correctly. That's because once the user clicked on the Save button, anywhere at all in the web app, the data was fixed in concrete. The user could never change it. But, they're human, of course they're going to make mistakes. And make a lot of them. It took two of us, working full time, getting into the database using SSMS, to fix the data directly in the tables. I have the skills to fix what was wrong in the application, but was under strict orders to never modify the HTML and code-behind code, that was involved. Since I was under probation I literally feared for my job. Rather than lose my job, my colleague and I endured fixing errors that hundreds of people around the state were generating every day. Finally and slowly the vendor got it through their head that people are going to make mistakes and so they have to make allowances for that. That has really been for the better. Users can now fix the problems they've made when they first enter data. I'm extremely happy with this situation now and am working more on what I applied for and was hired to do. The downside is we no longer have access to the source code. The vendor only gives us the compiled code. However, so long as they make allowances for people to be people, I'm OK with that.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Rod at work.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Rod at work.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I feel like job/candidate searching is a lot like dating - there is a good deal of marketing and self delusion in both the resumes and job descriptions.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply