Advice for Newcomers

• Both

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, November 2, 2018 1:18 PM

Both

Thanks! Are there any books or videos that go through Advanced SQL Developer topics in an organized, progressively more advanced manner? Thanks again!

• Something else I would tell them, don't listen to the naysayers.  If you enjoy something, like math, but find it difficult at the same time when first leaning something new, don't give up.  Work harder.  When you hit that eureka moment it feels great.  It is also something you did and should be proud of accomplishing.  Continue to build on those successes realizing that you are going to fail along the way.  Failure isn't something to avoid, it is a learning experience and something that can lead to future success.

• primitivefuture2006 - Friday, November 2, 2018 10:58 AM

xsevensinzx - Wednesday, December 13, 2017 5:45 AM

Some bits from me:

Failure is not the end. I have no formal education because I failed in school. This didn't stop me from pursuing my career in technology.

Passion is key. Do something because you are generally interested and invested in it because you love it.

Speak up. Don't be just another body in the room. Contribute to the conversation, be precise and be constructive.

Keep an open mind. Remove your bias and look at different problems, solutions and even people under different lights and be open to everything.

Be a team player. Many will tell you to surround yourself with smart people; toss away those who are not. Don't be afraid to help your team, regardless of opinion, and focus on solving problems together, even if that means helping a teammate across the finish line.

Lastly, explore the world. This is something that helped me a great deal with no formal education. Working with a international company or having the luxury as a young person to move around a lot early in my career helped me better understand people in general. If you get the opportunity to do the same, especially travel abroad, then jump on it while you can. It will help you so much in the long run.

How did you go about mastering the more advanced topics in SQL? Did you learn on the job, or from online resources? Thanks!

Both of those for sure and I would just add finding a mentor helps. I was lucky enough to be able to contract one through my boss to help me. I learned a lot from him as he was a seasoned DBA with SQL Server experience for many years. He was able to pass on lots of knowledge, gotcha's with SQL Server, and horror stories of both good and bad DBA's over the years that he has worked with. Including those pesky Oracle guys who are often on separate teams. 😛

Finding a mentor outside of work may be easily done through a number of meetup.com groups and similar. Just walk up to someone and strike up a convo. That or harass some of the guys and gals here until they mentor you.

• primitivefuture2006 - Friday, November 2, 2018 1:48 PM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, November 2, 2018 1:18 PM

Both

Thanks! Are there any books or videos that go through Advanced SQL Developer topics in an organized, progressively more advanced manner? Thanks again!

The title of this thread is "Advice for Newcomers".  You're asking about "Advanced SQL Developer" topics.  What do you already know?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:15 PM

The title of this thread is "Advice for Newcomers".  You're asking about "Advanced SQL Developer" topics.  What do you already know?

I've learned most of the basic syntax as well as using JOINs, subqueries, and CTEs. I don't have any professional experience in T-SQL, so as a newcomer I am hoping to know exactly what I am expected to know if I end up doing work that requires knowledge of SQL. As most job postings list a few years of SQL experience, I am assuming that they wish to have someone with Advanced knowledge of SQL.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply