Adding More Power

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Adding More Power

• Good question, thanks Steve.
    Have had to use this recently on a poorly performing Azure db

• Thanks for this question. I learned something new. I appreciate the Microsoft Azure documentationπŸ˜‰

• Thanks, Steve. It is interesting that the correct and wrong answers are at this time almost evenly spread.

• I haven't used Azure and don't have much chance of using Azure any time soon.

• Revenant - Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:57 AM

Thanks, Steve. It is interesting that the correct and wrong answers are at this time almost evenly spread.

And that's still true four days later. 

Probably a lot of people don't realise that there are 4 different syntaxes for ALTER Database SET OPTIONS according to which kind of Service it is run on (ordinary SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, or Parallel Data Warehouse) so they just look it up in one place - mostly in the wrong place for this question - and get it wrong.  Some people know there are four versions and look it up in the right place, so they get it right.  Some already know the answer (because they have worked using Azure SQL Data Warehouse) and get it right.  Others believe they already know the answer and get it wrong,   Some know theydon't know and dont bother to look it up, they just guess.

So there are quite a lot of ways of getting it wrong, but it's actually very easy to get it right by being careful about how one looks it up, which anyone who works (or has ever worked) seriously with SQL Server must have learnt to do.  Somehow that  has led to a  50% right and 50% wrong stable position.

Tom

• I liked this question about Azure SQL DW. Bring on more please.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR - Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:10 PM

I liked this question about Azure SQL DW. Bring on more please.

Feel free to write a few on other topics for me πŸ˜‰

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, March 31, 2017 1:59 AM

SQLRNNR - Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:10 PM

I liked this question about Azure SQL DW. Bring on more please.

Feel free to write a few on other topics for me πŸ˜‰

Point taken.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to optimize the code instead of throwing more resources into the picture?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:00 PM

Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to optimize the code instead of throwing more resources into the picture?

Yes, it probably would, but managers tend to be short-term-ists, they don't give a toss about the long term because they'll have moved on and it'll be someone else's problem by the time the long term effects manifest themselves.  This tends to apply all th way up to thetop, except in the extremely rare cases where the top management has a real commitment to the company (like if it goes bust so do they).

Tom

• TomThomson - Sunday, April 9, 2017 12:06 PM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:00 PM

Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to optimize the code instead of throwing more resources into the picture?

Yes, it probably would, but managers tend to be short-term-ists, they don't give a toss about the long term because they'll have moved on and it'll be someone else's problem by the time the long term effects manifest themselves.  This tends to apply all th way up to thetop, except in the extremely rare cases where the top management has a real commitment to the company (like if it goes bust so do they).

Ah!  As they say, "TRUE DAT!". πŸ˜‰  That's the reason why the outgoing manager frequently thinks "Veni, vidi, vici" and the incoming manager thinks "Veni, vidi, WTF!?"  I wonder how many of them know the parable of the 3 envelopes? πŸ˜›  Many do seem to practice it.
    http://www.design.caltech.edu/erik/Misc/Prepare_3_Envelopes.html

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply