Add a Time column and a Date column together?

• Hi,

Please can someone help with. I am trying to create a new column containing a combination of two existing columns.

Column 1 is datetime and column 2 is smallint

Example

2020-11-20 00:00:00.000            900

2020-11-21 00:00:00.000             1700

I want to create a new column which is a comb of Column 1 and 2

End result:

2020-11-20 09:00:00.000

2020-11-21 09:00:00.000

I tried myself with : SELECT

CONVERT(datetime, CONVERT(varchar(10), Column2 / 100)+ ':' + CONVERT(varchar(10), Column2% 100))

This gets a new column as a datetime, but doesn't contain the proper date.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• I would personally convert your int representation of a Time (which i really recommend changing, there's a time datatype specifically for storing times) to a time. Then get the difference in minutes, as it appears your value is accurate to a minute, from midnight to that time and add that your your datetime column:

WITH YourTable AS(
    SELECT *
    FROM (VALUES(CONVERT(datetime,'2020-11-20T00:00:00.000'), 900),
    (CONVERT(datetime,'2020-11-21T00:00:00.000'), 1700))V(D,T))
    SELECT DATEADD(MINUTE,DATEDIFF(MINUTE,'00:00:00',V.T),YT.D) AS NewDateTime
    FROM YourTable YT
    CROSS APPLY (VALUES(TRY_CONVERT(time,STUFF(RIGHT(CONCAT('0000',YT.T),4),3,0,':'))))V(T);

The TRY_CONVERT is there, as I don't doubt you have at least one bad value in your Time column (like 960 or 2402). For such values, NULL will be returned.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Here is another possibility, which separately adds the hours and minutes to the starting date:

DECLARE @d DATETIME = '20201120';
    DECLARE @i SMALLINT = 725;

SELECT @d
    , @i
    , DATEADD(MINUTE,c.mins,DATEADD(HOUR, c.hrs, @d))
    FROM
    (SELECT hrs = @i / 100, mins = @i - (@i/100) * 100) c;

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi Thom,

thanks for your swift reply.

I cannot change the source data, as it's from a fixed source and comes through as is with Time column as a Smallint.

Checking the times, they are all int and accurate to a minute, no need to worry about seconds.

Cannot you work your SQL magic using Datetime as Date and Time as smallint?

• Hi Phil,

Any idea how i change your script to use my actual values in my table columns? - Sorry my sql is fairly poor

• rkelly58 wrote:

Cannot you work your SQL magic using Datetime as Date and Time as smallint?

That's exactly what my solution does treat the data as... D is defined as a datetime, and T as an int. You can see this in the sample data:

(VALUES(CONVERT(datetime,'2020-11-20T00:00:00.000'), 900))V(D,T)

It's in the solution I change the data types. I just recommend that you actually fix the data type in the source in my post as well.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• rkelly58 wrote:

Hi Phil,

Any idea how i change your script to use my actual values in my table columns? - Sorry my sql is fairly poor

Here's the same example using a temp table:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS #dates;

CREATE TABLE #dates
    (
    SomeDate DATETIME
    , SomeInt SMALLINT
    );

INSERT #dates
    (
    SomeDate
    , SomeInt
    )
    VALUES
    ('20201120', 725);

SELECT d.SomeDate
    , d.SomeInt
    , DATEADD(MINUTE, c.mins, DATEADD(HOUR, c.hrs, @d))
    FROM #dates d
    CROSS APPLY
    (
    SELECT hrs = d.SomeInt / 100
    , mins = d.SomeInt - (d.SomeInt / 100) * 100
    ) c;

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  Phil Parkin.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Sorry... Dropped the post... I'll be back...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi Thom,

Feel daft asking, but instead of the values you manually inserted here:

How do i get it to point at my actual table and get the values from the two columns?

Sorry

• rkelly58 wrote:

Hi Thom,

Feel daft asking, but instead of the values you manually inserted here:

How do i get it to point at my actual table and get the values from the two columns?

Sorry

That's also in the answer:

SELECT DATEADD(MINUTE,DATEDIFF(MINUTE,'00:00:00',V.T),YT.D) AS NewDateTime
    FROM YourTable YT
    CROSS APPLY (VALUES(TRY_CONVERT(time,STUFF(RIGHT(CONCAT('0000',YT.T),4),3,0,':'))))V(T);

I called it YourTable because you would actually use your table there instead (and obviously change the column references to your columns, D being the date column, and Tthe time).

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Sorry about the previous post... I had an extra  "60" in it instead of a 100.

Anyway, using the integer math suggestion and the test table setup that Phil posted along with a tweak to the integer math, this  serious simplification should suffice to sufficiently suffoncify the stated problem and anything else should be superfluous . 😀

SELECT  SomeDate
    ,SomeInt
    ,SomeDT = DATEADD(mi,SomeInt/100*60+SomeInt%100,SomeDate)
    FROM #Dates
    ;

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  Jeff Moden. Reason: Made fix to change "ss" to "mi" in the code

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• DATE and TIME are available data types that can be combined into the newer DATETIME2(n) data type. Just use the CAST() function and simple math. The use of an integer for the temporal data type is fundamentally wrong; would you use a color for a time?

Please post DDL and follow ANSI/ISO standards when asking for help. 

• Hi Jeff,

Here is the result of your code:

Date                                                        StartTime                                  SomeDT

2020-11-21 00:00:00.000                930                                              2020-11-21 00:09:30.000

The SomeDT seems wrong, shoudn't it read: 2020-11-21 09:30:00.000

is the formula wrong?

• rkelly58 wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Here is the result of your code:

Date                                                        StartTime                                  SomeDT

2020-11-21 00:00:00.000                930                                              2020-11-21 00:09:30.000

The SomeDT seems wrong, shoudn't it read: 2020-11-21 09:30:00.000

is the formula wrong?

Yep... thank you for the catch.  I was using seconds instead of minutes.  I can only blame a coffee deprivation.   😀  The fix is simple.  We just need to change "ss" to "mi", like the following...  I'll also fix the original post.

SELECT  SomeDate
    ,SomeInt
    ,SomeDT = DATEADD(mi,SomeInt/100*60+SomeInt%100,SomeDate)
    FROM #Dates
    ;

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• jcelko212 32090 wrote:

DATE and TIME are available data types that can be combined into the newer DATETIME2(n) data type. Just use the CAST() function and simple math. The use of an integer for the temporal data type is fundamentally wrong; would you use a color for a time?

A lot of that is true although the DATETIME2(n) datatype is relatively crippled (not to mention NOT meeting ISO standards) compared to DATETIME() and so I avoid DATETIME2() when ever I can unless it's thrust upon me.

Also, just to be sure, the OP stated that they weren't the ones that are responsible for the poor datatyping that you're correctly talking about.  A 3rd party is providing the data and they, apparently, can't be compelled to make the change that needs to happen and that's why the OP asked for a bit of help.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply