A Story of the Deleted Transaction Log

• oberhardt is correct.

A maintenance plan should be set up to truncate, shrink, and backup the transaction log -- nightly, if necessary.

• I've had this happen before, when SQL was stopped to delete the log file you got as much of a commit as it possible, usually the log file has committed all transactions and if it hasn't there isn't much you can do. :ermm:

The fastest way to bring the database back online in this situation is:

1. Stop SQL and rename the mdf file

2. Restart SQL and delete suspect database (possibly have to restart SQL)

3. Rename the mdf to it's original name

4. Use sp_attach_single_file_db to bring

5. Do a full backup.

The next step is to take a baseball bat to the fingers of the sysadmin who did this so they will remember to call the DBA next time. 😀

• I believe that we can detach the database and attach the database back without a ldf file. Sql Service will create a log file.

• Bill Whitman (7/14/2008)

oberhardt is correct.

A maintenance plan should be set up to truncate, shrink, and backup the transaction log -- nightly, if necessary.

Probably don't want to shrink the log unless you absolutely have to..

• Hello,

They should not have been able to delete the LDF unless they stopped the service. First step should be to find out what the Tech did. I regularly use the detach/attach scenario to kill a LDF and start it at ) but we are a special case. On regular production data it is iffy.

Best wishes,

Barry

• We had a similar situation with one of our clients. We are not responsible for their databases but we helped them out. Here is what happened:

It was a SQL Server 2000 SP4 envioronment.

- The database that got into similar problem was a production database but it was a staging database (data loss was ok kind of thing).

- The operating system level backup had failed previous night and then the next day we got a call saying the database was not responding.

- Upon checking the logs we noticed the following errors in logs:

"Fatal Error 9001 - log for DATABASE1 not available."

"LogWriter: Operating system error 33(The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.) encountered."

- The log writer error was related to the transaction log file which was huge (50GB +) in size (the client was not backing it up).

- The database was marked Suspect.

- Tried to remove the suspect flag by running sp_resetstatus but it did not work.

- After researching all the options we tried to detach and attach the database. But it did not work as we got the following error during "detach".

Server: Msg 947, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Error while closing database 'DATBASE1' cleanly.

Since "detach" failed "attach" ended up giving the following error:

Server: Msg 1813, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Could not open new database 'DATABASE1'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.

Device activation error. The physical file name 'e:\db\database1_log.ldf' may be incorrect.

- Due to the problem with detach/attach we finally ended up doing the following which worked just fine:

1. Create a new db named the same as the inaccessible one

2. Put the new database in emergency mode

3. Stop SQL Server

4. Replace the newly created *.mdf file with the old good one

5. Rename/delete the newly created *.ldf file

6. Start SQL Server

7. Ran the undocumented DBCC REBUILD_LOG command

8. Ran data consistency check using DBCC CHECKDB

9. Put the database in multi user mode

Wondering why detach/attach did not work.

• I too am very curious why the detach/attach method (removing the location parameter for th ldf) did not work.

Having done this many times for clients with non-maintained trans logs it's always worked. SQL always asks if you want to create a log file, say yes and you're done

???

Why didn't this work?

• Correct, if you are shrinking down to smallest possible size -- not a good idea. But you can set your parameter to best-fit, so in case there is a runaway process you can maintain best-fit for normal operations.

• HI!

What a great and funny article. I laughed and laughed. And not at you- with you.

The same thing could have just as well happend here.

You fixed it faster than I would have.

• They stopped the sql service then deleted the log file.

Jimmy

"I'm still learning the things i thought i knew!"
  • This was on 2005. I do not know about 2000

Jimmy

• Yes this is exactly what happened

Jimmy

• I do not recall if I tried that or not. I will give it a shot when i have some time and try to recreate the problem and attempt to resolve with this suggestion.

Jimmy

• Apparenty you missed the following >>

... and the SQL service was taken off line and then the LDF file was deleted all data should have been committed to the MDF.

<<

When the Service is not running the files are not protected. No detach was performed.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

• I did take some notes as I was performing the steps. I also fully documented it immediately after completing. The dbcc took about 1 hour on this small (~2gb) db.

Jimmy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply