A stored procedure that usually runs fast ran for a long time yesterday

• coolchaitu (7/27/2015)

Thanks for the reply. My doubt is that why did it timeout only on that day and not on the other days?

It's really hard to tell for sure why your query did timeout a week ago without having any information. The only thing I can see from the screenshot is that you have tempdb contention (2:1:88968 is PFS tempdb page). Please read these articles to get familiar with thess kind of issues:

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/the-accidental-dba-day-27-of-30-troubleshooting-tempdb-contention/

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/robert_davis/2010/03/05/Breaking-Down-TempDB-Contention/

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2014/05/tell-need-tempdb-files/

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/adam_machanic/archive/2011/04/21/analyzing-tempdb-contention-a-month-of-activity-monitoring-part-21-of-30.aspx

Basically you need to create more tempb files to avoid this issue. But if this really the reason why the query had got timeout? Who knows. But I doubt it.

Alex Suprun

• Thanks for replying. There is also this "ACCESS_METHODS_SCAN_RANGE_GENERATOR" from the screenshot.Could you please let me know how to deal with these kind of issues and how to resolve these issues.

• coolchaitu (7/27/2015)

Thanks for replying. There is also this "ACCESS_METHODS_SCAN_RANGE_GENERATOR" from the screenshot.Could you please let me know how to deal with these kind of issues and how to resolve these issues.

LATCH_EX+ACCESS_METHODS_SCAN_RANGE_GENERATOR

Alex Suprun

• Dear Alex,

Google gave several links. I went through the links. Some are saying to change MAXDOP from 0 to 1. However,Paul Randall's blog is saying not to change MAXDOP. As per my understanding,"ACCESS_METHODS_SCAN_RANGE_GENERATOR” indicates lot of concurrent parallel scans.

Currently, cost threshold of parallelism is set to 5.

Could you please advise on how to fix this issue.

• Increase cost threshold

Identify the queries which are doing parallel scans and tune them.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for the reply sir. I googled on how to identify queries which are doing parallel scans but did not find. Could you please let me know how to identify those queries. Also, how much should i set cost threshold?

• Thanks for the reply sir. I googled on how to identify queries which are doing parallel scans but did not find. Could you please let me know how to identify those queries. Also, how much should i set the value for cost threshold?How to calculate it. Currently it is set to 5

• Dear Gail Shaw,

Could you please let me know the script that dentifies the queries which are doing parallel scans.

• Here's a query that should find all the plans in the cache with parallel scans. I've modified the original query from here: https://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/jonathan/tuning-cost-threshold-for-parallelism-from-the-plan-cache/

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED;

WITH XMLNAMESPACES

(DEFAULT 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2004/07/showplan')

SELECT

query_plan AS CompleteQueryPlan,

n.value('(@StatementText)[1]', 'VARCHAR(4000)') AS StatementText,

n.value('(@StatementOptmLevel)[1]', 'VARCHAR(25)') AS StatementOptimizationLevel,

n.value('(@StatementSubTreeCost)[1]', 'VARCHAR(128)') AS StatementSubTreeCost,

n.query('.') AS ParallelSubTreeXML,

ecp.usecounts,

ecp.size_in_bytes

FROM sys.dm_exec_cached_plans AS ecp

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_query_plan(plan_handle) AS eqp

CROSS APPLY query_plan.nodes('/ShowPlanXML/BatchSequence/Batch/Statements/StmtSimple') AS qn(n)

WHERE n.query('.').exist('//RelOp[(@PhysicalOp="Table Scan" or @PhysicalOp="Index Scan" or @PhysicalOp="Clustered Index Scan") and @Parallel="1"]') = 1

Be warned that running this query on a production server can take quite a while, and uses quite a bit of CPU.

Now, as for tuning cost threshold for parallelism, doing it correctly will require understanding what queries are running in parallel, how important those queries are to the business, and whether or not parallelism is even helping (it often doesn't, especially with queries that have lower costs).

The default setting of 5 is almost certainly far too low on modern systems, and you will see general recommendations in the range of 25-50 as a starting point on new machines.

The thing you have to be aware of is that if you have an important query that runs 60 times an hour and actually benefits greatly from running in parallel, and has a cost of 24, then even the otherwise conservative setting of 25 might be too high for your workload.

It's ultimately a matter of figuring out which queries will be affected, how they will be affected (test, test, and test some more), and making a judgment about the optimal setting based on that information. It's not a one-size-fits-all answer, but the right ones rarely are. 🙂

Cheers!

• Thanks a million Jacob for the crystal clear explanation.

• Deleted as posted to wrong forum!

• Dear Jacob Sir,

DO we need change back the isolation level to READ COMMITTED after running the query.Because, in our current production environment, its set to READ COMMITTED

• Isolation level settings are session-specific. It only applies to the session from which you're running that query, not the whole server.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Dear Gail Shaw,

Thanks a lot for sharing sir

• Gail Shaw Sir,

I have attached screenshot. The process ID are frequently changing and its LATCH_EX and ACCESS_METHODS_SCAN_GENERATOR. In this case, please advice on what to do to fix and prevent

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply