A scenario where SQL Server doesn't seem to help

• Bill Talada (11/28/2016)

You seem to have missed the poster's single problem he mentioned which is query timeout. All my suggestions answer that one problem. If a pre-select is done in a separate query, then the actual query likely won't timeout.

I do create indexes to use just before monthly reports. Afterwards the monthly indexes may be dropped.

It all depends on which resources are stressed as to what he should do. I'm just giving him some options.

Suggest some new things instead of criticizing others without knowing what you're talking about.

Since we have little in the way of detail on the environment the poster is in, it's always best to be on the cautious side where performance is concerned, and claiming the Kevin doesn't know what he's talking about is just not accurate. Many of us have seen this kind of thing before and know just the kind of "bad karma" that doing the things suggested can result in. I might be willing to conclude that you are the one that "doesn't know what he's talking about". If you don't know the specifics of an environment, just suggesting performance hogging techniques is 1) inadvisable, 2) dangerous, 3) sloppy, and 4) lazy because you weren't willing to ask more questions first.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• It would appear that the OP has left the building.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply