A Release from Data

• "We focus on the tenents - Courtesy, Integrity, Perserverance, Self Control, and Indomitable Spirit."

That's interesting. We focus on the five hearts - Faith, Respect, Perseverance, Patience, and Humility.

Religion is never discussed. In fact, we have Christian ministers training at the school, and they are completely comfortable.

• abatej,

Congrats and hope to join you in a year or so! In my school I'm on the 5th of 10 belts, closing on #6 this year. My son's on #6 and happy to let Dad know he's ahead.

I've done very little T'ai Chi, but I suspect I'll do more as the years go by.

I don't think most schools mix religion and martial arts. Even at a high level, it's a discipline and focus that drives, not even much spirituality. At least that's been my experience.

I love the treadmill, too!! Replaced our LCD and it's ready for winter.

• Always good to see Morihei Ueshiba.

I haven't run into too many techs who do martial arts, but I haven't been very active in martial arts since I moved to Tampa.

I have a black belt in shotokan and another in Tracy Kenpo (certified instructor too). Did a bit of Jujitsu as well.

The thing I love about MA is that you get a workout in without really noticing it. Much more fun than pounding the pavement for an hour.

• Thank you all for the congrats. 😀

Steve, I look forward to sending the congrats back to you. Be sure and let us all know! As my instructor Master Instructor Wall says: "Each class brings you one step closer to your black belt". And one more quote from Sr. Grandmaster Sell: "A black belt is a white belt that never quit".

I can sympathize with your son letting you know that he out ranks you. My daughter delights in it as well. At our school, all black belts are called by Miss, Mrs., Ms., or Mr and their last name out of respect. I have spent the last year calling my daughter Miss Abate when at the school.

• blandry (8/14/2008)

Has martial arts changed as much as it sounds? I thought one of the core tenets of any martial art is using the mind to control the body – at least, this was the case way too many years ago when I was taking Judo classes and our instructor, along with our physical activities, had us study various books and writings about “balance” in one’s life and pursuits – that the mind must be in proper balance or no amount of physical skill and prowess was going to fix anything, let alone ease any stress.

To that end, though I would endorse physical activity, I do not in any way endorse going out at the end of the day and beating the tar out of anything to “relieve stress” ... no amount of any martial art is going to do anything for you in the long run.

I think you misunderstood the earlier posts. I started karate when I was working for the "screamer" boss, and it was the only way I was able to keep myself from becoming angry right back at her. A great deal of the martial arts training is centering and balance, especially being aware of yourself in relationship to your surroundings, and discerning what is important.

Knowing that you can break a board and can physically defend yourself is a great aid in anger management. I also found it made me much less likely to blow up at my roommate over stupid things like whether she left dishes out in the living room. So I found the physical training helped me get into mental balance.

[aka "notquitexena"]

• One thing a former instructor told me that I'll always remember - "When you get your black belt (edit) it means you are ready to start learning."

All of the color belts were learning the basics. All of the mental stuff comes after the 1st black belt.

• jkoon (8/14/2008)

I found it not only a good stress reliever but also a great opportunity to actively NOT THINK - just react.

I would say that you are thinking, just using a different part of your brain. When I am sparring my eyes are centered on the eyes of my opponent, but are unfocussed so I am fully aware of where the next attack is coming from.

[aka "notquitexena"]

• Someguy (8/14/2008)

Please be aware though that when you recommend Zen and "getting your mind in balance", etc. that these are religious concepts. You're just not aware that they are.

If we want to use this space for a discussion of religion, faith, and world view, I'll be happy to chime in. Just be aware of what you're doing when you introduce eastern thought into the discussion.

Thanks!

Very good point!

My only reason for recommending the book was just that, a recommendation, with the understanding that it may not be for everyone. I am aware Zen has its roots in eastern religion, but was in no way attempting to promote it over another religion.

• Hello guys,

I'm included in this list too.

I'd practiced Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for some years.

This martial art was good in my case, because I became more self-confident, calm, and it's a good way to release stress.

I didn't become a Jiu-Jitsu black belt, but I hope to become a DBA black belt, so...we need to learn how to treat and release stress.

---------------------
    Alex Rosa
    http://www.keep-learning.com/blog

• Someguy (8/14/2008)

Let me see if I can find a diplomatic way to state this:

I have a personal faith that helps me a lot in life. I won't use this space to advertise it. If I did, I likely would get some replies saying something like "hey, this isn't the place to proselytize people into your religion" (although if anyone wants to send me a personal message, I'll be happy to explain further about faith in Christ).

One of the reasons that I prefer the treadmill in the gym to martial arts is the relationship that the arts often have to Eastern religion and mysticism, which which I disagree. To the extent that martial arts center on physical disciplines like muscle toning and the development of balance, etc., I think they're fine. ... Please be aware though that when you recommend Zen and "getting your mind in balance", etc. that these are religious concepts. You're just not aware that they are.

Just to clarify, the martial arts do not need to have anything to do with religion. The karate school I attended was at my church, taught by my pastor in the parish hall. The English equivalent of the name was "Love of Heaven School". The classes taught the physical arts and the mental discipline with no Eastern mysticism required.

By the way, my pastor is now third Dan (third level) black belt.

[aka "notquitexena"]

• cy-

Understood. Thank you for your gracious reply and thank you to others who made replies to my comment.

I've stated previously in this forum that I find it interesting and challenging to discuss a wide variety of topics with my friends from technical backgrounds. We tend to approach things differently than the world at large (not better or worse, just different). I come here first for insites into technology, but I'm glad that we don't limit the discussion purely to "tech talk". These side discussions are a lot of fun and are very informative.

• For us, martial arts has always been a family thing, long before I got into software development professionally. My wife and I met on the sparring mat in a college ROTC unarmed combat course; she broke my nose and I knew that she was the woman for me!

We tried everything from Okinawa, Japan, Korea, China and Thailand that we could find a school for over the past 16+ years of marriage, but found exactly what we were looking for in krav maga four nights a week. Mix in a little Brazilian JJ for balance and you've got a physically exhausting workout, not to mention first-rate self-defense tools.

The only thing that krav doesn't have that I miss a little bit are the folk dances. Once in a while, I still practice some goju-ryu kata and soo-bahk hyung just for giggles.

Bas Rutten's MMA workout CDs are also a great way to take out your daily stress on a heavy bag instead of becoming the next "HR issue."

I do expect y'all to show up for my first amateur MMA fight next summer... even if it's just hoping to see me get pounded. :w00t:

• One thing a former instructor told me that I'll always remember - "When you get your black celt it means you are ready to start learning."

I have my second black in T'ai Chi, so I can attest that this is true. I consider myself an advanced student.

Congratulations, Mr. Abate!!

• David Reed (8/14/2008)

My wife and I met on the sparring mat in a college ROTC unarmed combat course; she broke my nose and I knew that she was the woman for me!

RotFL. :hehe:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Real martial arts have nothing to do with religion or mysticism. Its about beating on someone (hopefully in self defense but many schools focus on competitions like Tae Kwon do, Karate or Judo) I have practiced Jiu Jitsu for many years (I have also briefly studied and a Tae Kwon Do school and a Karate dojo) There is no eastern spiritualism inherent in beating on someone. Getting your mind in balance is a fancy way of saying focus on what you are doing and has nothing to do with spiritualism or religion. Coaches working with any elite athlete try to help them focus on what they need to do. If I'm working I need to focus on that; when I'm with my family I need to focus on them and when I'm pounding on someone I need to concentrate on inflicting pain. Most martial arts originated in Oriental cultures and for years were taught by monks so many schools continue with the focus with in which the instructors learned. If you don't like the approach in the school you are learning, switch schools. They are not all the same. Different martial arts have a different focus. Pick a place based on what you want to learn - competitions, self defense, relaxation (mind control), or physical fitness. If you think Martial arts is all about Zen then you've watched way too much 'Kung Fu' on TV.

Francis

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply