A Release from Data

• Great topic, Steve. It's amazing to see how many folks on this forum are martial artists.

A respectful bow to you all.

I studied and taught Tae Kwon Do for over 20 years. I had the fortune of training under an Olympic gold medalist in sparring and sending my own students to national and Junior Olympic championships. I retired from TKD a few years ago because of mounting injuries, but I miss it almost daily--especially the teaching part of it. (These days I limit myself to basketball and mountain biking.)

I have actually found that the study of martial arts has helped me in my career and everyday life more than almost anything else (besides my parents, who are incidentally both black belts).

The training of the mind to be patient, to seek clarity and focus, and to act with speed, thought, and deliberation, have helped me to be a much better developer than I would be otherwise.

*** Shameless plug on ***

I am actually writing a series of articles on how Martial Arts is related to Software Development, Mountain Biking, Physics, Chess, Philosophy, and Music at my upcoming site www.intermz.com. It's dedicated to the relationships between various subjects. (If you're interested in this kind of thing, do sign up for our newsletter so I can let you know when it launches.)

*** Plug off ***

Because of how much philosophy, concentration, training, and teaching that the martial arts requires, I don't think there are many other things that can take you as far away from work stress as it can...except for maybe building/creating/writing stuff... Actually, Steve believes building[/url] is quite like software development, too!

---------------------------
    |Ted Pin >>

• You make an interesting point, Steve. I too have studied the martial arts on and off for most of my life spending a few of those years in the dojo, dojang,... with my boys while they were growing up!During those years I don't think I ever meet anyone else that also programmed computers. I think the greater goal here is to find an outlet for the stress caused by the job. Not the computers mind you, but the people that know the least about them yet seem to control my programming destiny...

I'm no Bruce Lee, but I'm certainly healthier and in better shape for having "practiced" the arts for these many years. Stay with it. There are men and women in some of my classes in their late 60's and early 70's that look remarkable and seem to be happy and contented. Hmmm, maybe I should quit computers and spend the remainder of my days with Kwai Chang Caine...

PeteK
    I have CDO. It's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

• gunna48 (8/14/2008)

Nice to know I'm not the only martial geek out there. And I agree with Grant sparring with a love body or more is much more stress relieving. Love your column.

Sparring was my favorite part as well. Weapons were also very therapeutic; if you don't concentrate, you can (severely) hurt yourself! I preferred bo staff. I still yearn to try Kendo however...

|Ted Pin >>

• Sparring and competition are my favorite martial arts expressions too!

You can talk about programming all day long (blogging). If you really want to know if you can do it, write some code!

You can talk about martial arts all day long. If you really want to know if you can do it, get on the mat and mix it up!

PeteK
    I have CDO. It's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

• Ted Pin (8/14/2008)

I preferred bo staff. I still yearn to try Kendo however...

I prefer bokken, with jo staff a close second. Never tried a bo, it looks difficult.

I tried Kendo for a bit, didn't really enjoy it. Too much focus on point scoring and competition and that's not what I look for in martial arts. I'd love to do kenjitsu, but the only instructor in the country is over a thousand km away

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/14/2008)

I tried Kendo for a bit, didn't really enjoy it. Too much focus on point scoring and competition and that's not what I look for in martial arts. I'd love to do kenjitsu, but the only instructor in the country is over a thousand km away

Yes, I think you're right; the stopping of rounds each time a point is scored is one reason I hesitated to join kendo. For me, it breaks the flow of the fighting situation.

For an interesting combination of intellect and fighting, have you heard of chess boxing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

|Ted Pin >>

• I find it interesting that there are so many of us that are also martial artists. I have just recently passed my 1st dan black belt test in Taekwondo. I find that the physical exertion allows my body to burn off the tensions caused by the stress of the day. If for some reason I miss too many days, I feel restless.

I really enjoy the poomse (or kata, or forms if you prefer). They require mental discipline to remember the patterns, as well as physical discipline to do the stances and movements correctly. The best part is that you only need a small patch of ground and you can do them. Whenever I travel, I still do my forms at night.

• abatej (8/14/2008)

I find it interesting that there are so many of us that are also martial artists. I have just recently passed my 1st dan black belt test in Taekwondo. I find that the physical exertion allows my body to burn off the tensions caused by the stress of the day.

Congratulations on your achievement. A black belt is one of those milestones in your life that you can always look back on and be proud of.

|Ted Pin >>

• For those of you who have not read it, I recommend Zen in The Martial Arts by Joe Hyams. It's a quick read and really gets you to think how you can integrate your training into everyday life.

• Ted Pin (8/14/2008)

abatej (8/14/2008)

I find it interesting that there are so many of us that are also martial artists. I have just recently passed my 1st dan black belt test in Taekwondo. I find that the physical exertion allows my body to burn off the tensions caused by the stress of the day.

Congratulations on your achievement. A black belt is one of those milestones in your life that you can always look back on and be proud of.

Thank you very much Ted. It is something that I will never forget. The test was on the 8th and lasted from 6pm until just before 10pm. I have a daughter who is also a 1st dan and my wife is a blue belt (about half way to black belt).

• abatej (8/14/2008)

I find it interesting that there are so many of us that are also martial artists. I have just recently passed my 1st dan black belt test in Taekwondo. I find that the physical exertion allows my body to burn off the tensions caused by the stress of the day. If for some reason I miss too many days, I feel restless.

I really enjoy the poomse (or kata, or forms if you prefer). They require mental discipline to remember the patterns, as well as physical discipline to do the stances and movements correctly. The best part is that you only need a small patch of ground and you can do them. Whenever I travel, I still do my forms at night.

Huge congratulations. That's an accomplishment to be proud of.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Let me see if I can find a diplomatic way to state this:

I have a personal faith that helps me a lot in life. I won't use this space to advertise it. If I did, I likely would get some replies saying something like "hey, this isn't the place to proselytize people into your religion" (although if anyone wants to send me a personal message, I'll be happy to explain further about faith in Christ).

One of the reasons that I prefer the treadmill in the gym to martial arts is the relationship that the arts often have to Eastern religion and mysticism, which which I disagree. To the extent that martial arts center on physical disciplines like muscle toning and the development of balance, etc., I think they're fine. Many people of different faiths enjoy the arts without going into the religious annd philosophical underpinnings. But devotees often go further to experience the mystical, religious side. If you even want to say that there is room in life for mental discipline and quiet moments of reflection and asking questions about values such as work vs. family, etc., that's fine too. Please be aware though that when you recommend Zen and "getting your mind in balance", etc. that these are religious concepts. You're just not aware that they are.

If we want to use this space for a discussion of religion, faith, and world view, I'll be happy to chime in. Just be aware of what you're doing when you introduce eastern thought into the discussion.

Thanks!

• Very nice (and unexpected!) to open the newsletter and see a photo of O-sensei! I had done aikido for many many years (ended with a 2-dan), most of it in Japan. But, with age I found that it began to take more out of my body than it added, so I ended up switching to yoga. I can heartily recommend it.

• I started TKD with my husband a few years back just for exercise. We have enjoyed it so much we started teaching. We opened our own school last year and hope to one day teach martial arts full time.

I agree that martial arts and religion should not mix. We focus on the tenents - Courtesy, Integrity, Perserverance, Self Control, and Indomitable Spirit. We have students of various religions in class. We have had students switch to our school because where they were going required them to go on mission trips for promotions.

• To all of you who have dropped out of martial arts due to injury, I have to recommend T'ai Chi. It is a very powerful martial art and you don't get banged up nearly as much. (I studied Okinawan karate years ago, so I know of what I speak.) Just be sure that the teacher teaches the martial aspect of T'ai Chi. If push hands is part of the curriculum, you're at the right place.

They call T'ai Chi the "thinking person's martial art", so you all would fit right in.

Thanks for the recommendation of Zen in the Martial Arts. I'm going to check that out.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply