A Quick Count

• SQL Server T-Shirt

I get accused of not writing enough technical editorials and it's probably true at times. Every once in awhile I wander down some strange path and get a bunch of writing done on subjects not necessarily related to DBA work, but I appreciate your indulgence. And some are kind of fun, like the every other month car updates . So ...

I was doing some household chores the other day and putting away some laundry. With my wife traveling out of town for half the week, I've got to pick up some slack or things start to get out of control. As I was putting shirts away, I thought this would be a good poll for the week:

How many SQL Server (or SQL Server vendor) shirts do you own?

I guess it could be any category since some of you are not DBAs and may go to other conferences like Exchange, etc. I figure my buddy Dean has 10 SMS shirts and Chris Rock probably lives in his collection of VB swag. By my count I have the following:

• 6 different SQL Server t-shirts, including 2 power-hour shirts
    • 2 different Red Gate t-shirts
    • 2 different Imceda t-shirts
    • 1 SQL Sentry shirt
    • 11 SQLServerCentral.com shirts - no surprise here, 7 Hawaiians, 3 polos, 1 oxford

That's a pretty good spread of T-shirts and then some nicer ones when I want to dress up

I'm sure some of you have me beat, though I've got a few more TechEd T-shirts, and various other MS products including a denim PDC shirt from 1998!

• Just cleaned my closet and I had none anymore.

Had

2 Microsoft Shirts

1 Imceda

1 Backup vendor can't remember

However I do still have SQLServerCentral.Com shirt from Orlando (2004) SQL Pass which I still proudly wear.

• Boy if this was expanded to "miscellaneous desk crap from any database-related vendor" I think I might win. As it is my wife makes me throw out most of my vendor shirts except the ones I really love.

If I recall correctly my closet at home has:

1 Idera shirt

2 Microsoft shirts

1 SQL Server Central polo

1 SQL Server Magazine shirt

1 ThinkGeek.com "SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0; 0 Rows Returned." shirt (does that count?)

Amusing question because today at work I'm wearing an Oracle polo.

• Zero. I haven't yet worked for an employer who would pay for a conference. Maybe some day when I'm old enough.

• Aaron, I know the feeling (Wife throwing/giving shirts away).  But since I have an older dress style, I don't like shirts without collars (showing my age here), and so I have zero in my closet.

5ilverFox
    Consulting DBA / Developer
    South Africa

• None.  Steve, send me an SSC T, please!

• After spending 25 yrs in IT I have loads of IT shirts but the most prized is a 1982 IBM tie I recieved with an IBM xt pc with a printed Charly Chaplain hat and walking stick. I have recieved offers of upto $5000. for it by IBM reps which I have declined.

• Oh dear.....vendor t-shirts? Really?

Those who said their wifes threw them out go home and thank them, they are doing you a huge favour. On the plus side if you managed to get a wife while owning/wearing such t-shirts kudos to you, thats some personality/looks/wallet you have 

I'm not going to deny my inner geek but I will not advertise it either

• Like several others here, my t-shirt collection is subject to the close scrutiny of my wife. If I ever do bring a shirt home from a conference it is generally used as a duster, or to clear up after painting, then thrown out.

I have 4 Simple-Talk polos, 2 Red Gate T's and that's about it. I don't even have a SQLServerCentral shirt. Steve is picky about who he gives them out to

• 1 SoftwareAG polo

1 SoftwareAG button-down

1 DoubleVision t (DoubleVision was Unix software allowing you to take over the client's terminal remotely. It was in use in our company in the early 90's. Probably defunct by now.)

And since Steve mentioned it, a number of Hawaiian shirts, all from Hawaii, but none related to software. Think about it...don't the 2 ideas clash horribly?

Oh yes, the DoubleVision t was GIVEN to my by my wife. She worked with the software. I am not sure what statement was being made by her giving me the shirt...

------------
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson

• I'm the rare wife - I let my husband keep his geeky shirts but then again, he keeps them only for LAN parties and staying at home or just laying low. I don't have any SQL-related shirts but quite a few geeky shirts - I'm just a fan of ThinkGeek's collection.

• My boss... uh, I mean, wife lets me keep the geek shirts. I just threw away about 20 myself though. Current favorites are still the SQL Server 2005 "verb" shirts. I took the time & trouble to get all the verbs. I also like RedGate's shirts. They've got one that says "Simply Ingenious" in larger letters & has RedGate in small letters. I've had quite a few people question my advertising!

Integrate

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Oh, and, while I like their products, Idera's god-awful orange shirts make great rags.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• 1, from SQL Server Worldwide User Group (SSWUG).

I didn't know that one could get SQL Server Central shirts. How? 🙂

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• SQL Server, err.. none

I do have a Marconi Software Solutions shirt (the company ceased to exist when Marconi rationalised), and an Oracle CRM 11i shirt, and an ErWin baseball cap.

I have a Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt from New Orleans, and another one from the House of Blues (dunno if they are still there).

I prefer to collect scuba diving shirts, I have then from the Phu-ket, Maldives, Philippines (Malapascua and Puerto Galero), Dahab, Taba, Sharm-el-sheik, Florida, Australia, Croatia and Scapa Flow (scotland).

Dave the Diver

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply