A Lifetime of Software

• don.schaeffer (4/27/2012)My son just started college; I've suggested IT but he's more inclined towards liberal arts. Hope he finds work.

As father to five: carpenter, salesman, psychologist, geneticist and actor, only the actor has had a problem finding work :rolleyes:

• I'm at 20 years now and I can tell you for sure I never thought it would be a career. My interest was always in the creative application of programming, and I still try to apply that to the technical nature of my work. Fortunately, I work in an industry that provides the flexibility that enables me to be productive when required but gives me that downtime I need to still be human. And the pay is enough that I can afford to travel, explore my musical and creative boundaries elsewhere, and have the tools I need to do the things I enjoy outside of work. It is unavoidable to glance across the fence every once in a while. My early jobs in plumbing, on loading docks, landscaping, and a 6-year stint running a scrap car removal company have ingrained my father's work ethic in me and I cannot believe I've worked hard enough after a day where I never left my desk. Just when I think of moving to greener pastures, a project comes up that wets my appetite enough that I forget about it until next time. By the time I make the transition it will be into retirement!

• paul.knibbs (4/27/2012)

The thing is, if you enjoy doing something, it's best to keep doing it. (There's a famous phrase that goes along the lines "If you do what you love for a job, you'll never work a day in your life" or words to that effect). ....

I'd modify that a bit. You should work at something you like, but never rely on what you love for your primary income. If you're a musician at heart, play when you want, for extra income, but never allow it to become a necessity. That spoils the fun.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• david.wright-948385 (4/27/2012)

don.schaeffer (4/27/2012)My son just started college; I've suggested IT but he's more inclined towards liberal arts. Hope he finds work.

As father to five: carpenter, salesman, psychologist, geneticist and actor, only the actor has had a problem finding work :rolleyes:

I love actors, I have many that are my friends. But I can tell you from experience, actors think more with their hearts than with their business heads. It's why so many of them have MAJOR issues.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (4/27/2012)... actors think more with their hearts than with their business heads.:-D

Aint that the truth! I try not to pidgeon-hole, but they're an uncommonly interesting bunch to be around 🙂 Like "Hey, howya doin? Who are you today?" :hehe:

• I'd been "technical" for lots of years and finally decided to take the plunge into management. In hindsight, it probably [was] the internal culture of the company but at the time all I could say was "wow." The petty bickering, constant saber-rattling and one particular incident I won't get into convinced me to run for my life. With a bit of satisfaction and no surprise, I found out after I left that the CFO abruptly quit when money came up missing and an audit was planned, and subsequently was charged with embezzlement at the company he went to. "Questionable ethics" is not a good adjective when describing a company's management and "felony" is not a team-building activity.

I loved working with my direct reports - I considered myself a "hands on" manager so I still did some coding - and I really thought I looked out for them by actively encouraging training and establishing a backup for each team member but the stuff that went on in the management meetings left a sour taste. I'm back in a comfy cozy technical position (somewhere else) and my framed MBA is in a box somewhere.

• david.wright-948385 (4/27/2012)

TravisDBA (4/27/2012)... actors think more with their hearts than with their business heads.:-D

Aint that the truth! I try not to pidgeon-hole, but they're an uncommonly interesting bunch to be around 🙂 Like "Hey, howya doin? Who are you today?" :hehe:

Yep, they are interesting. that is why I have them ONLY as friends. However, I never listen to their advice on anything.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• I am planning to die with my boots on as a DBA. I have loved my career in technology and am currently employed in the healthcare industry, which is stable. I have no pension, so the longer I work, the better 🙂 I have recommended it to my son, who is a very talented programmer with a Masters in Math. He didn't want the programming jobs, until he found out he could work at home at his own pace. It suits his schedule with school and life activities. That seems like a benefit of the occupation that many others with the pay range do not offer.

• 1. Will I stay in until I retire?

Well, I'm 30+ years from retirement. Thirty years ago was 1982 - did a PC even exist yet? (Doesn't matter, you get the point.)

I don't know that I can say I'll stay for 30 years (that's far longer than I've been in) but I don't have any plans to leave. I'd like to be a manager of people at some point just for the experience, but I expect I can still code while doing that.

2. Would it be a good choice for my descendants?

For a short period, it would be a good choice for the same reason they should get a Bachelor of Science degree from a University instead of a Bachelor of Arts - for the background knowledge.

Long term I expect the best choice will depend on personality - if they're like me, it would be fine.

3. But, what will programming be in 15-20 years?

The comparable of what we do today will still be a small percentage of total jobs. Some types of programming will move off shore (like VLSI has) but even more of it will be done by 'regular people' - like typing used to only be done by secretaries - some level of programming will just be an expected skill to have in a decade.

(Edit to add #4)

4. Would I do this if I came into a million dollars?

Yes. But not if it was ten million 🙂

FWIW

• I started out as a GIS mapper, and then switched over to programming and database work at the same company due to a shortage of programmers there. Since then, I've traversed the path from developer to accidental DBA to Architect, and I can't imagine doing anything else for a living. I've explained to a friend that I do what I do because I am the way I am, not the other way around. I'm 41, so I intend to be doing this for a long time to come.

• TravisDBA (4/27/2012)

david.wright-948385 (4/27/2012)

don.schaeffer (4/27/2012)My son just started college; I've suggested IT but he's more inclined towards liberal arts. Hope he finds work.

I love actors, I have many that are my friends. But I can tell you from experience, actors think more with their hearts than with their business heads. It's why so many of them have MAJOR issues.:-D

While I have worked in technology for most of the time, I was fortunate to also be able to do some professional acting (they actually paid me!) when the opportunity arose, and I must say that I met some of the most interesting and extremely talented people during those gigs! Variety makes the world go 'round ...

Wendell
    Colorful Colorado
    You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

• I spend the first 10 years of my career working as a translator. While I did enjoy this I have enjoyed the IT field much more. I have now been in IT for about 12 years, and have spent the last 8 working as a DBA. I plan on finishing my career working in IT, probably as a DBA. I would at least encourage my kids to at least take a look at the IT field.

• I think I will be involved in the technology side of things until I retire, at least I hope so. I like the challenge of solving problems and the just the thought of being a "manager" bores me to tears. As well as the problem solving challenge, the fact that IT is a fast-moving career area where you are always learning new things is something which keeps me interested and motivated. They say if you keep exercising your brain through your life then it helps in your senior years, there may be a health benefit too?

If my kids were to show an interest in following me (and my wife is a Systems Analyst too) into the IT area then I would give them every encouragement. I'm sure there are other challenging jobs out there, but I know for a fact that you don't really have time to get bored in this business.

• Grant Fritchey (4/27/2012)

Retire? What's that word mean?

I'll be a geek til the day I die. If I'm lucky, I'll get paid for it most of the way.

Took the words out of my mouth.

• Jim McCoy-259251 (4/27/2012)

Believe me it is definitely less stressful and maybe I will retire from this job some day, just not sure when that day will come as I am having the time of my life.

Another Jim

Congrats to you, and glad you're enjoying your career.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply