A Lack of Privacy in Smart Cars

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Lack of Privacy in Smart Cars

• I saw this come up a few days back on a security newsletter, and may be of interest - https://therecord.media/class-action-lawsuit-cars-text-messages-privacy

• As cars have become more and more computerized, I find myself wanting to buy older and older cars.  I could easily see "firmware updates" cause cars to have outages some time in the future.  I also don't want the government to be able to turn my car off remotely.

[font="Tahoma"]Personal blog relating fishing to database administration:[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]https://davegugg.wordpress.com[/url]/[/font]

• Forgot to mention.  Consumer Group reported that insurance costs on electric cars are whizzing up, plus some of it is the new electronics cost a lot to replace if there are issues  or vehicle crashes.

• It seems that the process of performing a factory reset on a Tesla car is remarkably similar to an iPhone.

https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/how-to-clear-reset-tesla-to-factory-settings/

A few months back, I bought a used 2017 model Toyota Prius hybrid, but it's features are very basic compared to a Tesla.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Michael.Beeby wrote:

I saw this come up a few days back on a security newsletter, and may be of interest - https://therecord.media/class-action-lawsuit-cars-text-messages-privacy

No one really cares about data privacy in the US

• david.gugg wrote:

As cars have become more and more computerized, I find myself wanting to buy older and older cars.  I could easily see "firmware updates" cause cars to have outages some time in the future.  I also don't want the government to be able to turn my car off remotely.

There are already bricked cars from updates, at least for awhile. It took Tesla awhile to work out how to deliver software, and I think that is the toughest part for many manufacturers and why I'd worry about the first gen electrics from many of them. In a decade they'll be good, but for now I'd be concerned.

To be fair, I've gotten firmware updates already for a 2012 car I installed with a USB. The challenge is moving to more often updates over the air, which creates a tricky situation at scale.

• Michael.Beeby wrote:

Forgot to mention.  Consumer Group reported that insurance costs on electric cars are whizzing up, plus some of it is the new electronics cost a lot to replace if there are issues  or vehicle crashes.

That will change as they become more common. Already lots of electronics in cars from the 2000s on are $$$. Right to repair, if this allows/forces third parties to build parts will help.

• Eric M Russell wrote:

It seems that the process of performing a factory reset on a Tesla car is remarkably similar to an iPhone.

https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/how-to-clear-reset-tesla-to-factory-settings/

A few months back, I bought a used 2017 model Toyota Prius hybrid, but it's features are very basic compared to a Tesla.

I had a 2007 Prius, and very basic features, but the first car I couldn't "change the radio" on to something else. Many things cool, some not so much. I really wish we had some legislation requiring the separation of infotainment from the vehicle so other parties products could be used.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• My wife's Skoda has a touch screen display that says "Loading user profile".  Until it has done so none of the other features are available such as Sat Nav, Audio etc.  Sometimes it hangs meaning you have no audio for the entire journey.

I have never once thought "thank God someone added this feature to the car".  Rather more Anglo Saxon phrases have been uttered cursing its inventor unto the 7th generation.

When I started looking at Big Data one of the examples given was of a city getting people to install an app on their phones that would track the time and location when a driver hit a pothole.  The goal was to prioritise the mending of the roads in areas where the roads were used the most.  To me this is a good use of sensors in cars and demonstrates a positive side to sharing data.

For young drivers in the UK you can get insurance policies that require you to have a black box fitted.  These will measure your driving  and adjust your premium if the evidence shows you habitually break the speed limit or drive badly.  There is a definite financial benefit to the consumer from installing such a system.  Where it causes problems is where the speed limit differs between the app and real world.  With the introduction of the 20mph speed limit on all urban routes in Wales, some roads were miscategorised in the app database leading to people being unfairly identified as bad drivers.  This gives a whole new meaning to insurance companies welshing on  their bets

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply