A Fun Poll

• Happy Birthday

Since I've spent most of the week at the PASS Summit, and have been busy meeting with people there instead of working on this site, I opted for a more fun, less thought-requiring poll.

Also so many of those people that comment regularly are also at the conference, so I'd hate to write an editorial and get no responses 🙁

So this week we step away from technology, and the serious side of things. We work hard and most of us are busy solving problems in technology all the time, so here's an easy one.

What are you doing to mark a special event?

I'll apologize in advance that I didn't have any great answer to this question.

I turned 40 recently and it was a fairly calm, quiet day. I handled some regular business with the kids, including a Cub Scout outing, did a little work (hey, the grind never stops here), and had a nice dinner with the family. I'm at peace with my aging, so this wasn't the big deal it's been for a few friends.

So it could be a birthday, anniversary, or other memorable event in your life. I'm just curious what types of things you might do for yourself or someone else in your life.

No need to mention which event or who it's for, but you might spark an idea in someone else's head for their next event.

• Happy 40 Steve !

It's my turn this weekend and it seems we both feel comfortable with the age.

The special events around are house are the birthdays of my wife and children, our wedding anniversary, the kids making a grade, that sort of stuff. We'll decorate the house or the children's chairs, I'll bake cakes and/or pies and we'll have the friends over.

Personally, I stopped inviting people for my birthday the year my mother died. Instead, I made sure the fridge wasn't completely empty and just waited to see if anyone unexpectedly turned up. Someone always did. It's a good barometer for friendship. As most of us in this community, I get asked to fix pc's or applications a lot by friends and family. I do this for free, but occasionaly when somebody insists on rewarding me, I'll ask them to donate something to my liquor cabinet. It's become something of a tradition to empty the cabinet on my birthday and I think it's one hell of a tradition. Nothing better to get a good conversation going and digging up memories with the ones that really care for you.

Next year it will be 10 years since I first met my wife and I intend not to let that occasion pass by unnoticed. I'm hoping to take her and the kids out for a couple of days to the place where we met (Crete) or at least spend a day or two as a family outside the regular holidays.

• A friend of mine had a 39th celebration a couple of years ago - he chose to celebrate the end of his youth rather than the beginning of middle age!

He arranged for us all to go outdoor go-carting, then clay pigeon shooting and then back to his for a big party that went on untill 04:00 in the morning.

I turn 40 in December and I don't think I'm going to even try to top that,

Cheers,

Jason

• 40.  Hmm... I think I remember 40 but I'm not quite sure.  Glad you had a good one Steve.

Next year my wife will 50, our two 'kids' will be 21 and 18 respectively and we will have been married for 25 years.  (This was either annally careful planning or a complete lack of it.)

4 major celebrations in one year is out of the question (can't handle it at my age), so one big 'do' somewhere in the middle seems likely.  We will probably be taking Eurostar to Paris for a few days but other than that... anyone got any suggestions?

• Happy Birthday!  I also just turned 40 on September 6th!  We just cooked out and did our normal daily routine.

• Typically I drink beer and after far too many beers I log in from home and modify scheduled jobs, stored procs, etc. so I have something to do on Monday.

Ha ha, just kidding.

• For birthdays, my husband and I go out to wherever the birthday person wants to go and we enjoy a nice night together. For some holidays, we throw parties with our friends who live in other states and either travel there or they travel here. And this year, since my husband and I are celebrating 10 years as a couple, I'm putting together a scrapbook of the past 11 years (how long I've known him) and how we met and how things have progressed (He doesn't know about that though.)

• I'll be hitting 58 in 4 days... probably will spend it working on the house or my old Jeep

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• For my mom's 60th birthday I managed to get to the big sit down dinner party without anyone knowing about it.  Arranged to have a friend of mine get invited to it, then I showed up instead.  Not a big deal for most people, but since I lived in Dallas, TX, and they live out in the country side in Norway.....  Had to time things right with a job interview in New York, so I could call her from the airport wishing her happy birthday, then 9 hours later show up at her party.  Good times

They got me back though a few years later when they unexpectedly showed up at a house warming party in Dallas that my wife and I threw.

For my 40th birthday (in a bit under 3 years) I am celebrating entering middle age in style, I'm buying myself a Corvette. 

• Seems like a lot of aging-adjusted folks here. Good for us.

Some years ago, a friend of mine was turning 30 and was depressed about it. He knew about the birthday party but when he showed up, he was the youngest in the room. I was in my mid-twenties at the time, but had snow (well, flour) white hair, Elks club golf hat, waistband about my middle and a cane. Everyone went all out to look way older than him and it was the best birthday party he ever had.

We, too, managed to spend our 10th wedding anniversary, if not where we met, then where we spent our honeymoon. Hawaii just keeps getting better...

------------
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson

• Happy birthday Steve!

* Noel

• For my 50th last year, the family treated me to a hot air balloon ride! What an amazing experience!

"Once you have flown you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return" -Leonardo da Vinci.

• Happy Birthday! 

My wife and I both turn 50 next year, but she will get there a couple of months before I do.  Our plan is to host a '50s style Sock-Hop, complete with poodle skirts and dance contests.  Not trying to stereotype myself, I will be the one in the geek outfit: pants up above the waist, white shirt with pocket protector, and the requisite glasses with tape across the bridge.

• Just last weekend I put together a Clam and Lobster Bake for my parents 40th anniversary.  Turned out great and everyone enjoyed themselves.

• That is a great way to have a birthday party! For a friend's bachelor party, we went out and played paintball, afterwards most of them had a lan party. Another friend's we flew to LA and went to Magic Mountain and rode roller coasters all day. For mine, I got lots of friends together and we had a huge sushi dinner, with several women/spouses/female friends present.

For my 40th birthday, I didn't do a heck of a lot if I recall correctly. I had fortunately left my job because one of the women there was notorious for doing the black crepe/tomb stones thing whenever someone hit one of their decade birthdays!

For our anniversary next year, our third, we're driving up to Albuquerque and seeing Spamalot!

Took my parents to San Diego for their 40th, that was cool.

But overall, my wife and I are pretty laid back for anniversaries and birthdays. Generally just a nice dinner and movie maybe.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply