A Few Good DBAs

• Ooh-rah!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• I can't believe this blatent rip off has been left on the site. You would have though that the SQL Server Central contributors would at least need to be original.

• Geez Rick...who peed in your Wheaties?!? ๐Ÿ˜€

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. That said, I must be the most flattering guy you people know. ๐Ÿ˜›

Side 1: I had a friend once that thought that he invented the concept of pouring cereal and milk into a glass instead of a bowl...do you think that maybe, just maybe, this similar concept could have been dreamt up more than once?!? Plus, I think you're right that the first one was more funny, so who would rip it off to make it less funny (but still pretty funny, though!)?

Side 2: Who gives a crap? I owned a humor website back in the internet technology boom. It made me tons of money. I didn't own or write one piece of information on the entire site, and I made it blatently obvious, too. The only thing I did was compile and group them all together in once place to make it easier for everyone to find...hence, spreading the joy. Rick, do you send flaming e-mails to everyone that forwards a joke e-mail to you yelling at them for not writing it themselves? Go grab a stress ball, relax...go have a Coke and a smile.

--Andrew

• imitation != blatant plagarism

• Aren't you forgetting something really obvious here? The first guy (MVJ) ripped off the movie, too. Ooh, "Blatent Plagerism!" Go yell at him too...no, even better, write a "strongly worded letter" to his manager letting him know what kind of person he has working for him. ๐Ÿ˜€ Man, you angry people must be the "other" DBA's I keep hearing about that have no sense of humor, and never use BULK COPY mode because it's PLAGERISM!!!

The whole thing is plagerism, and quite funny. Plagerize on everyone! (And send it to me!...and sign your name on the bottom of it, I won't care!)

• Keller (10/30/2008)

Aren't you forgetting something really obvious here? The first guy (MVJ) ripped off the movie, too. Ooh, "Blatent Plagerism!" Go yell at him too...no, even better, write a "strongly worded letter" to his manager letting him know what kind of person he has working for him. ๐Ÿ˜€ Man, you angry people must be the "other" DBA's I keep hearing about that have no sense of humor, and never use BULK COPY mode because it's PLAGERISM!!!

The whole thing is plagerism, and quite funny. Plagerize on everyone! (And send it to me!...and sign your name on the bottom of it, I won't care!)

Amazing how defensive people get when they know they've been caught doing something.

The easiest thing to do is quote your source rather than claim for someone elses work, or is this how you approach all of your work?

• I have read through both entries and I do not believe this is plagiarism. Plagiarism ( http://www.plagiarism.org/) is copying without giving credit to the source, essentially passing off ideas as your own.

In both cases, the authors have borrowed from the movie dialog for the purposes of satire, not presenting an original idea. Neither author credited the movie, though I have just changed that.

The common parts of the writing in each case are from the original movie. The parts that differ focus on separate topics. In this case the one from Mr. Jones (no relation) talks about a specific problem with an application, while the one here deals with general duties.

As such, I am not going to alter or remove this one. Please feel free to state your case here or send me an email with an argument.

• Steve, I read it as a joke and thought it was amusing. A piece of light-hearted entertainment to make you smile. A bit of fun and no more. I cannot believe some of these posts.

Madame Artois

• It is true that I didn't credit "A Few Good Men" in my parody; I guess I just assumed that everyone would know it was a parody of such a famous movie. I haven't seen anyone yet ask, "What was that?" A parody doesnโ€™t really work if your audience doesnโ€™t know the original.

I don't mind that he modified the parody I wrote for his editorial, but a mention would have been nice, since โ€œA Few Good DBAsโ€ is not a widely known work. I do think it is obvious that it is based on my parody, since it is the same scene, starts one line later, ends on the same line, and has the same title. As others have said, imitation is the sincerest flattery, and in any case, he has an original take on it.

I'm sorry if my first post made it seem like I thought this was a bigger deal than it is.

• Michael,

Thanks for the response and let me say that I like your version better (sorry, Shaun). I wasn't aware you'd written it and I've been on SQL Team a good amount.

You might be surprised how many people haven't seen that movie. For those of us that have it's easily recognizable, but for others they might not understand it at all.

• This was intended as a parody of how some DBA's take themselves way too seriously and just to laugh at ourseleves. But in answer to some queries.

1. My inspiration is obviously the film a few good men. after watching the film I youtubed Jacks speech where various Industries are humorously covered but none for DBAs.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=a+few+good+men+&search_type=&aq=f

2. This is where I lifted the text of Jacks speech from to edit for my piece, suprise suprise it starts and ends on exactly the same lines as mine what are the chances of that happening ๐Ÿ™‚

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/fewgood.html

3. Steve actually came up with the title but what else would you name it if you are a DBA.

4. My piece is intended as humorous irony not a serious piece of literature and most people have taken it that way, trust me its not winning any awards ever.

5. I thought I'd share my humor with Sqlservercentral thats all, I also don't mind you linking your work to mine if it makes you happy but does it really make you feel beter to try and discredit my fun piece in the process.

6.But those who enjoyed my silly humour thankyou

Adios

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply