A Data Request Form

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Data Request Form

• I think the default should be that you're automatically "opted out" unless you decide to "opt in".  Of course, that won't be profitable for these vendors and so that will never happen but that's what should happen.  My data should not be their data by default.  This isn't a recent revelation of mine... I've always felt that way.

What's the saying?  "The book, "1984", was not supposed to be a blueprint for the future".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I think the default should be that you're automatically "opted out" unless you decide to "opt in".  Of course, that won't be profitable for these vendors and so that will never happen but that's what should happen.  My data should not be their data by default.  This isn't a recent revelation of mine... I've always felt that way.

What's the saying?  "The book, "1984", was not supposed to be a blueprint for the future".

+1000

• California's CCPA laws are already in effect for "show me my data" and "delete my data" requests, but there are other US states planning to rollout in near future as well. You may think it doesn't apply for your business, but you could be mistaken, and all it takes is a stroke of a pen and a vote in state senate to expand the scope of these laws.

The last two companies I've worked for, one of my projects was developing a MPI (master person index) data mart. I recommend every company dedicate resources into implementing something like this, so that external audit or consumer data requests can be facilitated efficiently.

As for the "delete my data" requests - building out that process is another can of worms, especially for an enterprise with a lot of databases. At the very least, have your IT department start crowd sourcing an enterprise data dictionary and assign an owner to keep it maintained, so you at least know where all your PII data sources are and the contents.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply