A big thank you

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A big thank you

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant, that was a nice un-editorial editorial. I especially like your point about "best" practices. I sometimes think that a best practice became a best practice only because enough people repeat something enough times, even when it flies in the face of BOL. Most times, "it depends" comes up in spite of what people repeat.

I also like your point about what it takes to get things done and to make things work. I see so many "sins of design" yet there are ways to make things work and keep things functioning. Granted, they're sub-optimal, but the optimal solution would take 2 months, involve lots of rework and result in high risk, so it isn't done. The cheaper approach will work and get us 80% there, so that's what gets done. The purist in me may not like it, but the realist does.

Oh, and a huge "AMEN" to the MTVF! I know that parting shot wasn't the point and was the editorial part of your un-editorial, but I couldn't resist. 😉

• Grant, I fondly think of your editorials just like my great aunt Betsy's critiques of my table manners. They haven't stopped me from eating or enjoying my dinner, but I nod and smile all the same when she offers them.

PS Good editorial today

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

• tom-864693 (11/7/2015)

Grant, I fondly think of your editorials just like my great aunt Betsy's critiques of my table manners. They haven't stopped me from eating or enjoying my dinner, but I nod and smile all the same when she offers them.

PS Good editorial today

AWESOME!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Agreed. Can't let the perfect become the enemy of the good. That said, when you're introducing technical debt, know that.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (11/8/2015)

Agreed. Can't let the perfect become the enemy of the good. That said, when you're introducing technical debt, know that.

Heh... I was going to say "Good enough usually isn't" because it usually does introduce technical dept. Ummm... guess I just said that, huh? 😀

Nice article, Grant. Thank YOU for being the all around great guy that you are.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Great editorial. It is all too easy to pick up on peoples' mistakes and failing to praise them for the successes. Both are essential.

I now look back with gratitude at the times my Dad ensured that his children could eat properly at the dinner table. All of us can demonstrate good dining manners when required. Unfortunately for some they were not so lucky and I have seen people embarrassed to eat out with friends. This metaphor (not mine, read previous posts) works well in my professional life as I can choose a more pragmatic route when I deem it appropriate or attempt to introduce zero technical debt when necessary.

Mentoring isn't a choice between the stick and the carrot but careful selection of when to apply each of them.

Thanks for the carrot Grant!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Jeff Moden (11/8/2015)

Grant Fritchey (11/8/2015)

Agreed. Can't let the perfect become the enemy of the good. That said, when you're introducing technical debt, know that.

Heh... I was going to say "Good enough usually isn't" because it usually does introduce technical dept. Ummm... guess I just said that, huh? 😀

Nice article, Grant. Thank YOU for being the all around great guy that you are.

Yeah. No arguments from me.

I think it's just the recognition that we're not going to get everything our way. So shoot for as much as you can, and understand where and when you're doing something that's horrific in order to stop that, then, just deal with the stuff that you do that's merely problematic. Because, we're all going to do problematic stuff in order to get the job done.

Thanks for the kind words. Not needed, but appreciated.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Gary Varga (11/9/2015)

Great editorial. It is all too easy to pick up on peoples' mistakes and failing to praise them for the successes. Both are essential.

I now look back with gratitude at the times my Dad ensured that his children could eat properly at the dinner table. All of us can demonstrate good dining manners when required. Unfortunately for some they were not so lucky and I have seen people embarrassed to eat out with friends. This metaphor (not mine, read previous posts) works well in my professional life as I can choose a more pragmatic route when I deem it appropriate or attempt to introduce zero technical debt when necessary.

Mentoring isn't a choice between the stick and the carrot but careful selection of when to apply each of them.

Thanks for the carrot Grant!!!

Cool. Back to the stick in the future then. Ha!

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (11/9/2015)

Gary Varga (11/9/2015)

...Thanks for the carrot Grant!!!

Cool. Back to the stick in the future then. Ha!

Works for me 😉

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Although it completely violates the spirit of the editorial, I would suggest that this

most people make great and interesting choices

should read:

most people make great or interesting choices

• MattieNH (11/9/2015)

Although it completely violates the spirit of the editorial, I would suggest that this

most people make great and interesting choices

should read:

most people make great or interesting choices

Ha! Also true, but I think I'll stick with the original.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Just steer clear of multi-statement table valued functions, and everything will be OK.

Maybe your devs want to replace RedGateMonitor.[utils].[SplitString] with something as at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/ :hehe:

• samot-dwarf (11/11/2015)

Just steer clear of multi-statement table valued functions, and everything will be OK.

Maybe your devs want to replace RedGateMonitor.[utils].[SplitString] with something as at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/ :hehe:

We have a winner!

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply