A 2020 Look at Software Developers

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A 2020 Look at Software Developers

• There are two primary problems with software today:

1. Full-Stack Developer: everywhere full-stack developers are sought. No-one seems to think that the full-stack developers are commonly jack-of-all-trades and masters of none. 20+ years' ago it used to be that the full-stack developer was the old programmer who had become a master of all the various areas within programming. Now, a full-stack programmer is someone given the task (and responsibility) of programming the entire stack.

2. DevOps/Agile/Rapid Development/Whatever-it-is-called-nowadays: These days it is the sprint that is sacred. To paraphrase Steve Jobs, 'No-one remembers buggy software, no one forgets a missed ship date'. There are lots of frameworks to helps with this, Entity Framework and the millions of Javascript frameworks to name but a few. As long as the developer gets the code working by the sprint deadline, all is well. Good performance is nice but takes a back seat to the sprint deadline.

I can see why the developers chose the DBs that they did. They picked the ones that are relatively easy to implement and are reasonably fast. Oracle is not at all easy to master but it is a superb database. This does not fit the current paradigm.

Maybe I am biased. I started out as a junior developer (ASP, DHTML, client-side and server-side Javascript and enough SQL to query data and call SPs). We had senior developers who wrote code that would be compiled. We were scripters, they were programmers. We had a DBA who designed the database, wrote the stored procedures and did migrations. There was a separation of duties and responsibilities.

Nowadays, the full-stack developer is given the responsibility for everything and the DBAs are given the task of making the developer-designed database and entity-framework spaghetti code perform better (well, perform).

• I look forward to Stack Overflow's survey results every year. Thank you for pointing them out. What puzzles me is that I've never taken the survey. In fact, I don't know how it happens; do they identify you when you go to the website as a member of the site and then ask you if you want to take the survey? Or do they ask anyone and everyone, if they want to take the survey?

Rod

• So, for next year I should look at the Stack Overflow blog?

Rod

• I think so. I know it gets announced in a few places.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply