70-461 or not?

• Hi there,

I hope someone would be so kind as to give me their opinion on what they would do in my position.

I've 2 years experience querying SQL Server and developing SSRS reports, in MI Analyst roles. I'm currently a report developer working a temporary contract. In 3 months I'll be looking for a new position. My aim is to land a SQL Developer or BI developer role. I have 3 months of focused effort to spend, and my options are:

1. Study and pass the 70-461 to make me more marketable for a SQL Developer or BI Developer role (~50% of the way there).

2. Gain more hands on experience with ETL, SSIS/SSAS, data warehousing concepts, Kimball methodologies, start schema, etc., to be able to ace SQL Developer or BI Developer type interview questions.

What is a sensible use of time?

Thank you for reading.

• I am not quite answering your question, but wanted to reflect on 70-461. You may please refer to attached.

Accordingly, exams related to SQL Server 2016 are now launched. The corrosponding exam would be 70-761. As such there is no point in going for 70-461, should you take certification path.

• IMO, the more sensible use of time is the second of the two options proposed. Get more hands on experience with the methods. That will be far more valuable than the MCP level exams and certifications.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I've been offered the chance to take the 70-761 exam and online training. My job will repay me if I pass. Is this a good idea? What online training can you recommend?

• Hi Robert

How far did you get regarding certification options
    I'm in a potentially similar position

Thanks

- Damian

• SQLRNNR - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:28 AM

IMO, the more sensible use of time is the second of the two options proposed. Get more hands on experience with the methods. That will be far more valuable than the MCP level exams and certifications.

How good is the book in covering what someone who has to write queries all day should know? (Yes, I realize that's a bit of a judgment call... not much I can do about it!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply