A while back I posted a blog on how to recover data with crash consistent snapshots.
Snapshots are pretty handy in certain situations so I thought I’d show you them in action!
In the video below I’m being a little bit more dramatic than in the blog post
What I’m going to do is: –
- Take a crash consistent snapshot of the AdventureWorks database volumes
- Corrupt a table in the database with DBCC WRITEPAGE
- Overwrite another volume on the server with the snapshot taken
- Attach a copy of the AdventureWorks database to the SQL instance
- Retrieve the data in the table from the newly attached database
Here we go!
Thanks for watching!