SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Protection Close To Home

Protection Close To Home

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Protection Close To Home

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
bledu
bledu
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I did think about getting a home server with raid but because of the cost (read credit crunch) I decided to use the free online offerings like www.mesh.com . The only problem with this is that it forces you to select the info that you want to replicate/backup. I also backup my info to a removable hdd.

Everything you can imagine is real.

Ben Moorhouse
Ben Moorhouse
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)

I actually have HP's Media Smart Server, which runs Windows Home Server.
It's incredible.

It has 4 drive bays, one is full already with the OS and some storage space, the rest you can fill up as/when you need to. It does also have some e-Sata connections and USB connections, but I dont use these.

The server then does two things for backing up.

Firstly, there is a small client which you can install on the other PCs on your network. This client then backs up each drive on it's host to the server (Resulting in each pc being completely backed up every night). It will then flag any issues with backups and ask you to remedy the problem.

Secondly, it uses folder duplication.
It allows you to easily create shared folders on it's drives, and you can tick a box to duplicate the folder. If this is ticked it will keep a copy of the folder on two separate drives in it's bays.

The best part being that since I installed it, I've hardly had to do anything at all.
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Steve,
I'm paranoid about losing stuff. I have RAID (mirroring) on my home pc, a NAS device I use for backup and filesharing and external drives I use for backups. I also have a older 2nd pc I use to copy stuff off onto.

That said, I've been investigating off-site storage, like Mozy and Idrive, as well as a few others.

Wondering if anyone else is doing off-site stuff? and how it's working out?
Ben Moorhouse
Ben Moorhouse
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)

I'm thinking I need to do some kind of off-site stuff, but it will just be things like photos and written data (the stuff which can't just be re-purchased or re-downloaded).
I need to get myself sorted out first, but would love to hear how you get on?
jay-h
jay-h
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

I don't use RAID. I'd rather use several copies on separate devices. My backing up is done to USB hard drives which run only when I am doing a backup, so they have very low mileage.

In business, with multiple people constantaly accessing data, RAID pays off (at least in primary storage). For home use, it's probably less helpful.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
lionfan91
lionfan91
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Just an external USB HDD connected to my desktop PC. I use SyncBackPro to back up all of the important folders to the HDD nightly. I also have the wife's laptop running SyncBackPro and backing up to the same USB HDD. Everything has been working like a champ.

SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
SSCommitted

Ben Moorhouse (8/21/2009)
I'm thinking I need to do some kind of off-site stuff, but it will just be things like photos and written data (the stuff which can't just be re-purchased or re-downloaded).
I need to get myself sorted out first, but would love to hear how you get on?

Ben - check out Mozy.com, and idrive.com, although there are probably others. they are 2 I know of. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.
ta.bu.shi.da.yu
ta.bu.shi.da.yu
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (401 reputation)SSC-Addicted (401 reputation)SSC-Addicted (401 reputation)SSC-Addicted (401 reputation)SSC-Addicted (401 reputation)SSC-Addicted (401 reputation)SSC-Addicted (401 reputation)SSC-Addicted (401 reputation)

Steve, please tell me that you aren't implying that a RAID setup is a good substitution for a proper backup strategy!

Random Technical Stuff
cy-dba
cy-dba
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (995 reputation)SSC Eights! (995 reputation)SSC Eights! (995 reputation)SSC Eights! (995 reputation)SSC Eights! (995 reputation)SSC Eights! (995 reputation)SSC Eights! (995 reputation)SSC Eights! (995 reputation)

Surprisingly, most of the important data on my home pc can be backed up to a flash drive. Although I am starting to build up a library of photos and was just starting to look at backup options, so this poll came at the right time. I will look at the options others have already given and look forward to other recommendations.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.