SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

From the Real World: On Call Again

From the Real World: On Call Again

Author
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (6.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
For those who have an issue with the article, think of it as a great learning tool. When you get a young or inexperienced DBA in, sit him or her down with this article. Let that person know that it's a good thing this was an April Fool's joke, because stuff like this happens and when it does, people get fired. Therefore, they need to check up on these sorts of things. The devil is in the details. And when they're done reading this article, have them read this blog post that reinforces a details-oriented mentality:

Who Thinks Like Database Professionals?

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Duran (4/1/2009)
Hey we all have good senses of humour, but I think those who found this funny are the kind of people that still find series one of 'Friends' funny.

That's the problem with thinking. I thought the article was a good joke. I may have watched Friends, but it wasn't because i thought it was all that funny. I watched it with my wife. It had its moments, but otherwise was some what dull, just like Seinfeld.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
SqlAsylum
SqlAsylum
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

Great Read you got me at the end. Smile

For those that don't have time and it's not funny I would suggest avoid reading on the web today as much of it is April fools jokes. Oh and even dba's that don't have time need 1 day out of the year to laugh.

pat
Dave-3000
Dave-3000
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)SSC-Addicted (450 reputation)

Back before the dotcom bubble burst, the old Visual Basic Programmer's Journal had a hilarious story in their magazine about a hot new startup, eMeringue. This was a service where you go online and order the meringue topping for your pie, then they deliver it by overnight mail. It had photos of a guy in a chef's hat making the meringue on a plate, and ended with photos of a customer delightedly opening the box and sliding the meringue on top of a pie. It detailed all the technology used in the web site and backoffice ordering software. Since there were other, equally ridiculous startup premises around, I remember reading the whole thing with a growing sense of disbelief. Who in their right mind would a) buy a meringue on line; and b) fund a business that sells meringue online? I remember thinking, "It's just sugar and eggs!" And there was no, "April Fool" line at the end. You had to wait until the next issue where they 'fessed up, but if it sounded crazy and was in the April issue, that was probably it.

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
Duran
Duran
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (545 reputation)

WWHHOOOOAAAA!!! Now lets not get carried away here! Putting Friends anywhere NEAR Seinfeld is just absurd and unjust!
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Duran (4/1/2009)
WWHHOOOOAAAA!!! Now lets not get carried away here! Putting Friends anywhere NEAR Seinfeld is just absurd and unjust!

You're right, it isn't fair to "Friends", sorry. ;-)

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
NULLgarity
NULLgarity
Old Hand
Old Hand (374 reputation)Old Hand (374 reputation)Old Hand (374 reputation)Old Hand (374 reputation)Old Hand (374 reputation)Old Hand (374 reputation)Old Hand (374 reputation)Old Hand (374 reputation)

Personally, I think April fools jokes are sort of tired and immature. But if you are going to do one, there is a right way and a wrong way. Don't leave your reader feeling like a sucker.

Here is one that I think was done right:

http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/2009/04/undocumented-trace-flag-improves.html

TJayBelt's left enough people feeling like suckers that I think you could say it was not done right. It was way too straight and then at the end it was not funny or clever, so I just felt played.

Blog |
Twitter | LinkedIn

ssismaddy
ssismaddy
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (930 reputation)SSC Eights! (930 reputation)SSC Eights! (930 reputation)SSC Eights! (930 reputation)SSC Eights! (930 reputation)SSC Eights! (930 reputation)SSC Eights! (930 reputation)SSC Eights! (930 reputation)

it's great that you have got lot of time...JK
chudman
chudman
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)

Yeah, you had me going. I was feeling bad for you, man. I thought I had worked with that TechDBA.

Forget all that moaning.

Thanks for the prank.

Jeff

gruble
gruble
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

Not cool.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.