Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Are We Wasting Too Much Time Social Networking?

Are We Wasting Too Much Time Social Networking?

Author
bradmcgehee@hotmail.com
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Are We Wasting Too Much Time Social Networking?

Brad M. McGehee
DBA
Open Minded
Open Minded
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)

I appreciate the effort and sharing on SN. I have been thinking in what ways could it be applicable to our company.

But I see there is a psychological balance to be maintained, the onus on the user.

Unlike instant messaging which I banned, I am still open to SN. Using an email address is difficult these days, what with spam and targeted email attacks.

Besides, it is also a nightmare to create, maintain and secure a public website within the company's DMZ. The ones who can budget a $200,000 firewall are the ones whose business is really the Net.
AShehzad
AShehzad
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (442 reputation)SSC-Addicted (442 reputation)SSC-Addicted (442 reputation)SSC-Addicted (442 reputation)SSC-Addicted (442 reputation)SSC-Addicted (442 reputation)SSC-Addicted (442 reputation)SSC-Addicted (442 reputation)

Technology related professionals are often with less chances to go to meet some one at home and to regularly meet or call old colleagues and class fellows dispersed at various parts of world. I found such social networks useful to keep in touch with old colleagues and class fellows. Helps to be in touch and spread your network thus chances to learn and collaborate. I think we should not abandon social netwroks even at cost of some time spend on it.

=============================================================
Atif Shehzad
DBA
Zin Technologies
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Brad,
Great editorial!

When I find I'm spending too much time on it, I cut back. I try to limit it to 10 mins a day.
I think social networking is good but you need a balance!

Mark
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I think the problem is that the tools make it easy to get immersed in the "social" more than the networking. There's always a social/people aspect of networking, but I agree only so many hours in the week and social networking takes time away from something else.

I'm curious about how much/why LinkedIn became a burden?

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
ben.mcintyre
ben.mcintyre
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)

Yeah.
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

I'm on LinkedIn, Plaxo & Facebook, but I probably don't open them more than once a week at the most and then for only a few minutes. Twitter on the other hand... that got out of control for a little while. Now I'm only opening it for a few minutes each day. I've found it very useful when I have a quick technical question, but trying to haunt the place to see if others have technical questions you can help with just takes WAY too much time.

It's a tough balance. I want to maintain my contacts, but I kind of want to keep my job too. The social stuff can and will suffer because of that.

Good editorial.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
vivekanand-246309
vivekanand-246309
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

It depends on Whether we need SQL networking or Social Networking..I use it as SQL Networking when I am in the office and Social Networking when at home.

Vivek
Samuel Clough
Samuel Clough
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)

I'm on linked in, but just use it as an address book to keep up with people. It doesn't take too much time. As far as facebook and twitter, I refuse to use them because of the time overhead they require.
rgillings
rgillings
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Fortunately, this is a non-issue. I have never had any sort of desire to engage in social networking, and quite honestly I shudder at the thought of it.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.