SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

TSQL

TSQL

Author
Tom Garth
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
A valid identifier is the #

Thanks for the info Yoda... er... Sankar. Something new I learned.Smile

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

StarNamer
StarNamer
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

james (2/9/2009)
So it adds a temp table into memory or on the permamnent media or both? How long does the temp table last?

There have been times when I want to use a temp table to hold some data for the length of a webpage, but I generally have a table called tempSomethingMeaningful and clear the table when I am done. This way I don't have to worry about setting up the columns every time.
Temporary tables last as long as the connection that created them. They may be in memory or stored in the database tempdb. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa933114(SQL.80).aspx.

Using temp tables from web pages will depend on how much control you have over the connection. I beleive that a connection is automatically closed at the end of each page rendition (haven't checked) so if you need data to persist from one page to another you need to use permanent tables. Temp tables are mainly used for intermediate results, usually for perfromance reasons; i.e. select some data to a temp table, then do further transformations on the subset of data in the temp table.

Derek
Sankar Reddy
Sankar Reddy
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (496 reputation)SSC-Addicted (496 reputation)SSC-Addicted (496 reputation)SSC-Addicted (496 reputation)SSC-Addicted (496 reputation)SSC-Addicted (496 reputation)SSC-Addicted (496 reputation)SSC-Addicted (496 reputation)

This is written as a trivia question and to raise awareness that certain questionable features will not be supported in future versions of SQL Server. Follow the link to learn about functionalities that might be going away in near future.

Features Not Supported in a Future Version of SQL Server

I do NOT recommend using this method and once again it is written to raise awareness.

Sankar Reddy | http://SankarReddy.com/
StarNamer
StarNamer
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Sankar Reddy (2/10/2009)
This is written as a trivia question and to raise awareness that certain questionable features will not be supported in future versions of SQL Server. Follow the link to learn about functionalities that might be going away in near future.

Features Not Supported in a Future Version of SQL Server

I do NOT recommend using this method and once again it is written to raise awareness.
But, for now, this is legal T-SQL! Smile

declare @ int, @@ int create table
# (_ int, _@ int, _@@ int) insert
# values(1,1 - + + - -
- - + - 1, 1 - + - + - +
- - + - + - 1) select @=_,@@=_@ from
# select * into
## from
# drop table
# drop table
##

Derek