SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Getting A Clue About Your Databases

Getting A Clue About Your Databases

Author
Gregor Borosa
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Getting A Clue About Your Databases
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

Good article, lots of useful info.
I think this beats going in and poking around blindly!
Ian Massi
Ian Massi
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

What an excellent idea! I used to just poke around blind as well. Trying that on a database where the tables all had 4 character names (which were abbreviations from Russian) and the fields had 8 character names (again, from Russian), it's hard to find stuff. Something like this would have helped a lot. I may use these in the future since I happen to set up data transfers from different systems.
Gregor Borosa
Gregor Borosa
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)SSC Veteran (294 reputation)

Hi, well thanks Smile I also tried to make it more "out of the box thing", so you'd just call one procedure and get some results. But each db is unique, so when you are exploring it, some parameters do have to be adjusted, if only to loose matching of table or column names etc.
Megistal
Megistal
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

First thanks for the scripts, they will surely help me on some occasions. (the one that get the dependencies instead of viewing them in the tiny box in the enterprise manager)

What I would like to bring is when testing them out I used a database that I was very comfortable with and found that the information that I gathered was not very helpful for someone who would need to get a quick overview of that database type in particular.

Not because the scripts does not work well but because the database work differently than the intended proposed solution and this is a scenario that could happen to others as well. I would like to propose you an additional approach.

I believe, when the database has run a bit, is to get the statistics on index scan / seek etc as the primary way to get information about usefulness of a table instead of the table size / rows.

In my case the most worthy tables only contains a few tenth of rows and looking at them from the index scan / seek reveal that information.

What do you think of this additional approach?
Gregor Borosa
Gregor Borosa
SSC Veteran

Thanks for the suggestion, well worth of consideration! I guess I was so desperate looking at some databases I got recently, with nearly half of all tables empty or with max 1 row (really), so I focused on that metric. Combining few methods or trying various approaches is generally the way to go, I suppose.
Megistal
Megistal
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Yes I understand your points, there's not a solution that will fit for every problem.

If I could have time I would expand your queries to add a weighting mechanism for some criteria (index, size, row count, update date etc) and let the dba choose how she/he what to configure it with default value to run out of the box.
cy-dba
cy-dba
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Good article! There's nothing worse than trying to learn a database that has inherent encryption. Smile
Otis-844278
Otis-844278
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Hello. It must be noted that to perform the coding as presented, one must have 'Admin' rights to the database.
Paul DB
Paul DB
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (134 reputation)

Excellent article! Smooooth
Very impressive topic and easily readable!

I look forward to your future articles!

Paul DB
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.