SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Power and Deception of CTEs

Power and Deception of CTEs

Author
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
kevriley (12/1/2008)
Jeff- sorry the title didn't meet expectations - I was just trying to make it more exciting!

Absolutely no problem... like I said, good article and it does stress the importance of not overlooking something not so obvious to some. The devil's in the details and your good article brought that to light. Thanks again for taking the time to write it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)SSC Guru (114K reputation)

Ninja's_RGR'us (12/1/2008)
Steve Jones - Editor (12/1/2008)

Jeff, it's not often someone is going to teach you something about T-SQL.

Still rolling on the floor on that one... can't be more true than that!!!

Heh... thanks for the vote of confidence, but I learn something new about T-SQL everyday even if it's how to NOT do something. BigGrin

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru

G Bryant McClellan (12/1/2008)
Jeff Moden (12/1/2008)
Good article... but, because of the title, I was actually expecting to see something about a problem or technique with CTE's that couldn't be done using other forms of code. The article is really about how an index can help any query be it a CTE, Derived Table, View, etc.

Jeff,

I was also thrown by the title although 'deception' gave me a clue.

On the other hand, thanks to Kev for pointing out what should have been obvious...the use of indexes on columns commonly used in WHERE and ORDER BY clauses. I must admit that it gave me ideas on some inherited problem code that is built with CTE for no reason I can discern. The CTE is (to me) no gain over standard SQL but potentially a gauze curtain covering up an underlying indexing issue. And I would venture that it was authored by a procedural programmer...

For me, the only gain that usually comes from a CTE (one or more) is that it makes the programming read a little better in a "Top Down" fashion instead of having to read "Bottom Up" with derived tables. Some like the ability to use recurrsive CTE's, but I've found that those are as bad or worse than cursors.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I'm wary of recursive CTEs as well. And concerned that because something appears clearer, you use it instead of something better. Another thread had a discussion on a left join v exists and how one is clearer to read, but not necessarily better.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Heh... thanks for the vote of confidence, but I learn something new about T-SQL everyday even if it's how to NOT do something. BigGrin

I'd bet it's more often how not to do something than the other way around.

Hopefully we'll get you up there at PASS next year doing some of the teaching.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

I second... let me go muy my tickets now!!!
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru

Ninja's_RGR'us (12/1/2008)

I second... let me go muy my tickets now!!!

Awesome compliment's guys... I'm humbled. Blush Thanks. I'd have to think of something I haven't already beat to death on the forums, though... heh... not much left.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

If it's worth beating to death on the forums, it means that th ecommunity needs to hear it... people wanting to hear what you have to say or needing to hear it will attend... you don't have to try to please everybody out there, it's not possible (God knows I tried that one!).
Christopher Stobbs
Christopher Stobbs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Good point Steve, I was asking just yesterday about the left join vs NOT Exists, and well Gail gave me a very good visible answer and well ... like you say just cause it looks good doesn't mean it is good :-)

----------------------------------------------
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

w00t
Posting Best Practices
Numbers / Tally Tables

SQL-4-Life
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)

Nice article ...

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.