SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Any one can send me answers for these

Any one can send me answers for these

Author
venkat.saginath
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
If the user complaint you that application is running very slow. As
a DBA where do you start your work ???how do you find where exactly
the problem is???

After logshipping configured,users are connecting secondary
server...how can you disconnect them?

Log file size increasing ,..even after logshipping connfigured??
what could be the reason?

what are the configuration changes before and after installing sql server service pack???
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

Those are pretty standard interview questions and you'll probably find the answers simply by googling them. Look for "SQL Server Interview Questions". But, beware... if you get hired just by answering questions you memorized the answers to, you will be in very deep Kimchie in about 45 days because you won't know enough to actually do the job.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
RBarryYoung
RBarryYoung
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Well, let's see:
venkat.saginath (11/17/2008)
If the user complaint you that application is running very slow. As a DBA where do you start your work ???
Usually on my cell phone as I am driving to work.

how do you find where exactly the problem is???
Get a red felt tip pen and your office's floor plan. Find your boss's office, circle it. Done.

After logshipping configured,users are connecting secondary server...how can you disconnect them?
A good pair of cable-cutters will do it.

Log file size increasing ,..even after logshipping connfigured?? what could be the reason?
Probably some annoying user running this procedure that I gave them last week to get rid of them:
Declare @i as int
Set @i = 0

Begin Transaction
While @i < 99
Begin
Insert into Users
Select 99, 'Loopy', 'Lou', 9.11;
Delete from Users Where UserID=99;
Select @i =+ 1;
End
Commit

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
krayknot
krayknot
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)

the problem is???

Log file size increasing ,..even after logshipping connfigured??

what are the configuration changes before and after installing sql server service pack???

1. check the modules in the application wher ethe problem is.
2. check the asssociated tables with that module.
3. start to work on those tables.
4. first try to optimize the queries. and if the same problem persists thne do any heavy tasks

kshitij kumar
kshitij@krayknot.com
www.krayknot.com
Dennis gibson-431475
Dennis gibson-431475
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)

Depends if the app is web based or a console application. It also depends on what they are running on their desktop, how much memory is available on the desktop, is the desktop low on space. I always check these items first because they are usually the problem way before the database. Especially if it is one user. Start with the basics first I say.
Mauve
Mauve
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

These appear to be "exam" questions and not a current real-world problem.

(PHB) I think we should build an SQL database. (Dilbert) What color do you want that database? (PHB) I think mauve has the most RAM.
j nuñez
j nuñez
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Try to use Profiler to identify long running queries, or queries with high use of resurces (CPU, Reads, ...)
venkat.saginath
venkat.saginath
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Hello Mister
I don't know who you are? And remind one thing may be you are not a Database Administrator because of as a DBA they must answer as they faced and they know in their organization and I am also faces such kined of problems in my organization. You are not a DBA as I think.
Albert Matubis
Albert Matubis
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)

the problem is???

As for me I used the perfmon, profiler and activity monitor to find out where the problem is. To detect I/O bottleneck use the Perfmon and monitor the processor, CPU, memory and Disk I/O. Use the Activity monitor to detect blocking processes that occurs on the database (which is the common problem). Use the profiler to detect Queries/batch that are causing the slow performance of the database.

Before the logshipping job restore the transaction logs it should kill all processes that are currently running on the database otherwise the restoration will fail and it will return an error like "Cannot hold exclusive access to the database.."

Log file size increasing ,..even after logshipping configured??

database log file will eventually increase in time depending on the frequency of data modification on the database

see microsoft for details...

Albert B. Matubis
Database Administrator: Trend Micro PH
MCP. MCAD. MCDBA. MCT
MCTS: SQL Server 2005
MCTS: Business Intelligence
MCITP: Database Administrator
MCITP: Business Intelligence Applications Developer
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

rbarryyoung (11/17/2008)
Well, let's see:
If the user complaint you that application is running very slow. As a DBA where do you start your work ???
Usually on my cell phone as I am driving to work.

wow, i'm normally still in bed at that point, you must be keen

rbarryyoung (11/17/2008)
how do you find where exactly the problem is???
Get a red felt tip pen and your office's floor plan. Find your boss's office, circle it. Done.
i prefer green felt tip

rbarryyoung (11/17/2008)
After logshipping configured,users are connecting secondary server...how can you disconnect them?
A good pair of cable-cutters will do it.
i prefer to just inconspicuously pull the rj45 plug out of the back, its extremely aggitating trying to connect all the little wires up to crimp on a new plug again when someone spots the broken cable

rbarryyoung (11/17/2008)
Log file size increasing ,..even after logshipping connfigured?? what could be the reason?
Probably some annoying user running this procedure that I gave them last week to get rid of them:
Declare @i as int
Set @i = 0

Begin Transaction
While @i < 99
Begin
Insert into Users
Select 99, 'Loopy', 'Lou', 9.11;
Delete from Users Where UserID=99;
Select @i =+ 1;
End
Commit

ahh so you're the one passing this little beauty around are you Wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.