SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Moving to the Heartland

Moving to the Heartland

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Moving to the Heartland

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Ben Moorhouse
Ben Moorhouse
Old Hand
Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
It might be a bit of a commute from Leeds, UK but working in a data center in a beautiful setting sounds perfect!
K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
You're talking about being near enough to attend home games for the Broncos. Hmmm, I grew up loving the Broncos (though I have no connection to Denver). Smile

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
Barry G Freeman
Barry G Freeman
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)

Personally, I'd love to get out the UK... however, I'm not too sure the US is much better Smile

DBA (Dogsbody with Bad Attitude)
John Magnabosco
John Magnabosco
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (227 reputation)SSC Veteran (227 reputation)SSC Veteran (227 reputation)SSC Veteran (227 reputation)SSC Veteran (227 reputation)SSC Veteran (227 reputation)SSC Veteran (227 reputation)SSC Veteran (227 reputation)

Nice topic! The data center boom is very interesting and exciting.
It is great for the small towns and remote locations.

BTW: Nice shirt in the video version of this editorial!! BigGrin
majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Hmmm....

Seems to me as if this change in emphasis is just a stepping stone to a different architecture altogether. Anyone else see the irony in decentralising data centres? Personally, I suspect that, as soon as everyone's comfortable with data centres being largely geography independent, they'll quickly move on to stopping bothering with data centres at all, though I'm not sure how that'll translate in practical implementations.

That said, cleverer people than me have been embarrassingly wrong in their predictions of the future, so I may well be way off the mark - albeit less embarrassed to be so.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Henry_Lee
Henry_Lee
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)

I lived in Denver for five years - from late 97 to early 03 - and am planning to move back within the next couple of years. We didn't spend much time east of Denver, but if you build your data center in Summit, Grand or Eagle, I'll start packing tonight. Smile
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Not sure you want to be counting on diesel fuel getting to Summit, Grand, or Eagle if the power goes out Wink

I'm not sure we want to decentralize data centers too much, heck, I still see plenty of people struggling with local clusters, much less geographical ones. That being said, VMWare is working hard on vMotion working across data centers, assuming you have the bandwidth.

The idea of putting data centers, or a tech business in smaller community makes some sense to me. Lower costs, and you might attract a lot of people that want to live in a different place. Chances are you need a decent population in the first place, maybe even a relatively high tech one. I could see somewhere like Golden building data centers, it's close to the mountains, but not in them, perhaps cheaper to live in than other places.

There have been a quite a few software companies growing near universities. It would be great to see some of those smaller schools benefit from a trend like this.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Someguy
Someguy
Old Hand
Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)

When I moved from Philadelphia to the New York metropolitan area a few years ago, the thing that stood out to me the most was the cost of property. A home in NY is often more than double the price of a similar home in other parts of the country (even thought salaries are no where near doubled). This, along with traffic congestion and crowds is the result of one lone factor - population density. Population density gets high when you get millions of people who think that they have to all live in the same place to work and conduct business. That may have been true 50 years ago, but now there just isn't any reason for it.

Recently, we learned that high gas prices force people to consider alternate fuels. The first barrier was apparently $4.00 a gallon. I wonder when the cost of real estate and the general cost of living will get to the point where business people realize that building their data center in Iowa is much more cost effective than other locations (even when you factor in building infrastructure)? Frankly, I don't know how any company built in the costly areas of coastal California or metropolitan New York can compete with companies built in cheaper areas any more...

SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Someguy (10/16/2008)
Recently, we learned that high gas prices force people to consider alternate fuels. The first barrier was apparently $4.00 a gallon. I wonder when the cost of real estate and the general cost of living will get to the point where business people realize that building their data center in Iowa is much more cost effective than other locations ..

At the same time, the fuel cost is pushing towards cities with lots of workers within a short distance and readily available mass transit.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.