SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Soft Skills

Soft Skills

Author
Adam Angelini
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Soft Skills
Paul Smith-221741
Paul Smith-221741
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (704 reputation)Say Hey Kid (704 reputation)Say Hey Kid (704 reputation)Say Hey Kid (704 reputation)Say Hey Kid (704 reputation)Say Hey Kid (704 reputation)Say Hey Kid (704 reputation)Say Hey Kid (704 reputation)

I'm very lucky in this respect. My current (so far) manager is not from an IT background but rather from a communications one.

At first I dreaded entering his office or even going to a meeting he was attending as at the end of every session there would be a soft skills analysis.

But it Worked.

There are still some managers (especially 1 female one) that I cannot seem to communicate with but together we are working on it and I'm sure that it will come together BigGrin
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)

What if you boss asked you to work on your "soft" skills.

I'd take the nice Oak bat home and bring in a nice "soft" Pine bat Tongue

I'm a teacher at heart and have taught many courses and mentored many a developer. Soft skills are not a problem there. I do find it difficult to use soft skills when someone in high authority tells me to do something in the database that I absolutely know is wrong. It's starts out as a demonstration of soft skills but, depending on how insistant the manager becomes, I do sometimes bring out the Oak. Wink

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
GSquared
GSquared
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)

Good question. My answer for soft skills is Scientology. Very effective.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

I too have been asked (directed) to improve my softskills, since I have the unskilled propensity to tell the truth. The request of me to improve frequently occurs right after I have informed another manager of equal rank as my manager, or higher when I know an item will NOT work, or the work can not be done within either the time or budget constraints imposed.

The suggested improvement generally follows along the namby pamby wording of "that might not be", "might be difficult to stay within".. notice the might be when in fact I know it will be. Having worked consulting gigs one definitely told it would be for 30 days, well that was extended to 180 days, another was told it would be for 3 months and that was extended to 18 months and finally the last one which I was told would be for a couple of months lasted 6 years, ending with my being offered a full time position with the firm ending my consulting experiences. And no gig was ever cut short!. And in all of them I was deficient in the "softskills".

Being an old dog, too old to learn new tricks I bumble along and spend my studying time learning the new technologies as best I can. Following the mantra of you do not have to like me, but you do admit that my work is of the highest quality.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Dr. Diana Dee
Dr. Diana Dee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

For soft skill acquisition, nothing beats Toastmasters.

):-D
Shaun McGuile
Shaun McGuile
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

GSquared: Scientology?!?

What does that mean? Cruise and Travolta come over and talk at you? BigGrin

No the only truth is the "Theory of Constraints" - TOC.

And yes I'm like bitbucket I call a spade a spade.

I like spotting the flaws in other peoples' perfection, without predjudice of course. BigGrin

I do not believe in ambiguity when it comes to deadlines and weather or not something is a good/feasible/rational idea.

Hey thats probably why I'm not a 'manager'.BigGrin

--Shaun

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work Crazy
brendan.o'connor
brendan.o'connor
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

I have to say that this worry about soft skills is the exact same problem that other people have about math and computing. How many times have you heard some saying that they can't do math? Or they hate computers.

Maybe I'm lucky because I moved from sales into computing or because my wife is a communications manager but communications skills can be learned like any other and require the same amount of rigor.

And to equate soft skills and communication as almost lying is very naive. Anyone who is telling people to replace yes with maybe is lacking in confidence not communication skills.

If you are in a discussion where you can't say yes to someone then that means the communication skills in your whole organization are lacking.

I'd say if people have to fudge project timelines then they haven't engaged the customer in the planning of the project fully enough.

Communication is all about engaging people in the process.

It's telling the truth and making sure that all parties can deal with the truth.
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)

Softskills comes 'softly' into one. Hehe
It takes time that's why freshers do not process it Wink

Joke apart I believe softskills comes with experience.Smile

Jason Miller-476791
Jason Miller-476791
Old Hand
Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)

After a couple of meetings where I explained that some proposed solutions were lacking in their full consideration of variables, I was branded a malcontent. A short time later, I was "encouraged" to attend a couple of training seminars; "How to be an effective Communicator", etc. Incidentally, I'm still considered a malcontent, possibly a valuable contributor, but still a malcontent.

I'm a few credits short for my masters in math, and one of the things that has been absolutely drilled into my head is proofs. It seems odd to me that the idea of True v. False is foreign to some. Quite often in meetings people will give examples of a business / process flow, citing several examples to "prove" their positions on something they want me to code/design. All I need to do is find one example that invalidates their plan. When I do, I get a combination of scorn, furious glares, and in one meeting the manager asking for the change storming out of the meeting.

Someone once told me: "I'm very opinionated." I agree, and furthermore, if you can prove to me that my opinion is incorrect, I will still be opinionated, but my opinion will change to what is the truth/correct.

So as you can tell, I'm often changing my opinions.

Honor Super Omnia-
Jason Miller
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.